Author Topic: Problem Querying a MAC network drive  (Read 5686 times)

Offline dbacksjon

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problem Querying a MAC network drive
« on: December 06, 2006, 09:39:08 AM »
Hey Kirk and others,
I am getting ready to install Extensis Portfolio, etc, etc... I have transfered most of my entire archive over to a Snap Server 4200 (maintained by our IT guys) and have access to that drive called "photoshare" on my desktop, along with other network drives. I quickly realized though that now when i do a search on PM it is not reading the Photoshare Drive or any of the other network drives. Is this a normal problem that it doesn't read network drives? Do i have to tell it somewhere to look for certain drives? All it seems to be reading is my HDD.

Thanks!
Jon

Offline gajones

• View Profile
Re: Problem Querying a MAC network drive
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 10:06:30 AM »
I think the issue is that the search function in PM uses Spotlight, but Spotlight doesn't index network drives...

You might want to have a read of this:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050430233117572

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 10:07:37 AM »
I am getting ready to install Extensis Portfolio, etc, etc... I have transfered most of my entire archive over to a Snap Server 4200 (maintained by our IT guys) and have access to that drive called "photoshare" on my desktop, along with other network drives. I quickly realized though that now when i do a search on PM it is not reading the Photoshare Drive or any of the other network drives. Is this a normal problem that it doesn't read network drives? Do i have to tell it somewhere to look for certain drives? All it seems to be reading is my HDD.

I take it you are running Mac OS X and are using the search in Photo Mechanic that uses Spotlight.  To my knowledge, Spotlight only works on local drives and not network drives.

See here for more information.

-Kirk

Offline dbacksjon

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 10:12:57 AM »
Yes, updates OS X... hmmm, that is a bit frustrating to know... especially since my entire archives will be transfered over to that server using Portfolio. But i guess i will just have to use Portfolio to query from now on and PM for ingesting, etc... it's all good i guess, i don't feel confortable enough going in and messing with root files, but it's good to know i could possibly do it if i have to....

JOn

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 10:44:19 AM »
Yes, updates OS X... hmmm, that is a bit frustrating to know... especially since my entire archives will be transfered over to that server using Portfolio. But i guess i will just have to use Portfolio to query from now on and PM for ingesting, etc... it's all good i guess, i don't feel confortable enough going in and messing with root files, but it's good to know i could possibly do it if i have to....

I would think that something like Portfolio or iView Media Pro would work better than Spotlight anyway.  At least until we add cataloging to Photo Mechanic...

-Kirk

Offline Photo_op

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 05:58:01 PM »
I would think that something like Portfolio or iView Media Pro would work better than Spotlight anyway.  At least until we add cataloging to Photo Mechanic...

-Kirk

Kirk-
I assume you are watching with interest the developments with iView/Microsoft and "Expression Media". Would you be willing to expand on your comment above regarding cataloging? I really think Photo Mechanic has a chance to appeal to all those IVMP folks who may be seeing the handwriting on the wall since the sale to Microsoft. I have absolutly no idea how involved the programing is to accomplish cataloging in PM, but if ready by 4.5.0.1 (say Feb/Mar 07) YOU would have a gold mine. Apppreciate any comments you might be willing to make in this regard.

Dave

DaveB
MacMini, 8 Meg RAM, OS X 10.8.2, PM 5, Lightroom 4.2, Sony 580, Fuji X10

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 07:05:32 PM »
Dave,

I assume you are watching with interest the developments with iView/Microsoft and "Expression Media". Would you be willing to expand on your comment above regarding cataloging? I really think Photo Mechanic has a chance to appeal to all those IVMP folks who may be seeing the handwriting on the wall since the sale to Microsoft. I have absolutly no idea how involved the programing is to accomplish cataloging in PM, but if ready by 4.5.0.1 (say Feb/Mar 07) YOU would have a gold mine. Apppreciate any comments you might be willing to make in this regard.

It is definitely in the works.  But it won't be here that early.  Basically when 4.5 is out the door I want to start on a cataloging module.

-Kirk