Author Topic: How Many Images Can PM Handle?  (Read 5199 times)

Offline danieljcox

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How Many Images Can PM Handle?
« on: May 26, 2013, 03:45:14 PM »
I'm currently using Apple's Aperture with a library of nearly 500,000 images. Unfortunately Aperture just doesn't seem to be able to handle this many images with out problems (i.e. lots of spinning beach balls when trying to scroll through the entire library). I'm searching for a program that can handle this many images and more in one complete library. Does anyone have any experience with PM accessing and handling this many still photos?

Offline pwp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Images Can PM Handle?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 04:41:32 PM »
I occasionally get nuisance behavior, unreasonable delays and program crashes if I throw a single folder of 1000-5000 raws at PM5. I've learned the hard way to split big jobs up into smaller chunks. This is on a very gutsy Win 7 64 quad with 16Gb memory and plenty of space on the HDD.

-PW

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 04:58:39 PM »
I occasionally get nuisance behavior, unreasonable delays and program crashes if I throw a single folder of 1000-5000 raws at PM5. I've learned the hard way to split big jobs up into smaller chunks. This is on a very gutsy Win 7 64 quad with 16Gb memory and plenty of space on the HDD.

-PW

Hi,
I myself use dated folders inside subject folders (you can do the other way around if you shoot more than one assignement in a day, too). I know that PM can handle a huge amount of raw files... if necessary you can open a folder with all its subfolders in the same contact sheet. This way you can rename, tag, sort and capction all of them at the same time. Very useful feature of PM.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 07:43:08 PM »
Daniel,

I'm currently using Apple's Aperture with a library of nearly 500,000 images. Unfortunately Aperture just doesn't seem to be able to handle this many images with out problems (i.e. lots of spinning beach balls when trying to scroll through the entire library). I'm searching for a program that can handle this many images and more in one complete library. Does anyone have any experience with PM accessing and handling this many still photos?

Photo Mechanic cannot handle 500,000 images in a single folder, no.

-Kirk

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.4.1
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 07:59:15 PM »
I'm searching for a program that can handle this many images and more in one complete library.

Photo Mechanic doesn't use "libraries" like Aperture and Lightroom do. PM just browses folders you point it at but doesn't retain a record of them after you close the contact sheet.

The new Catalog that is being developed will operate more like you are thinking but there is no release date set yet.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline chardinej

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 07:09:56 PM »
Are there 500,000 images in the whole world???!!!
John

MacBook Air i5/10.8 (Mountain Lion); PM 5 latest build