Author Topic: Photomechanic with Lightroom.  (Read 2664 times)

Offline keithbamber

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photomechanic with Lightroom.
« on: August 11, 2013, 03:24:43 AM »
Hello. I am a new user and my question may have been asked before but I could not locate it by searching. I want to use PhotoMechanic for ingest and edit and keyword allocation. Can you tell me how I should set each of those programmes so that Lightroom will read and recognise the star rating, colour class and keywords allocated in PhotoMechanic. I intend to let PhotoMechanic build my image file and simply add them to the Lightroom catalogue. It would be great too if I add the occasional keyword in Lightroom if that could be recognised back in Photo Mechanic.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photomechanic with Lightroom.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 07:48:30 AM »
Keith,

Hello. I am a new user and my question may have been asked before but I could not locate it by searching. I want to use PhotoMechanic for ingest and edit and keyword allocation. Can you tell me how I should set each of those programmes so that Lightroom will read and recognise the star rating, colour class and keywords allocated in PhotoMechanic. I intend to let PhotoMechanic build my image file and simply add them to the Lightroom catalogue. It would be great too if I add the occasional keyword in Lightroom if that could be recognised back in Photo Mechanic.

The first thing you have to do is make sure PM and LR are using the same color labels (color classes in PM parlance)

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=Preferences

Then you need to get PM's IPTC/XMP settings setup like this:

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=File:PM_iptc_adobe.jpg

The two applications should now cooperate.  You will need to make sure to use the Metadata menu in LR to read/write updates from/to your images because LR prefers to not read changes made to files outside of LR and it also prefers to update its database and not the files when you make changes in LR.

-Kirk

Offline keithbamber

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Photomechanic with Lightroom.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 12:56:52 PM »
Just what I needed. Thank you.