Author Topic: Fuji .RAF files marked "unknown"  (Read 3449 times)

Offline Jen Mack

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Fuji .RAF files marked "unknown"
« on: July 24, 2013, 10:14:06 AM »
I noticed that PM doesn't seem to be recognizing .RAF files. They're marked 'unknown' in the bottom left of the window, see the screenie attached.

This is on Win7 PM 5.0, build 13915. The files are from a Fuji X-E1. I'd be happy to send you samples if you need the raw files to dig into.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fuji .RAF files marked "unknown"
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 09:52:56 PM »
Hi Jenny!

The "unknown" files may be the .XMP files created for the RAW's.
You have 3 images in your folder. 2 RAWs, 1 JPG. The 2 XMP's are for the RAW images.
You can have a look in your Windows Explorer.

For me on a Mac I have the same. 20 Files = 9 RAW's + 2 JPG's and also 9 unknown files. These are the XMP's.

HTH
Sven

[attachment deleted by admin]
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 10:41:01 PM »
I think Sven is correct about the .xmp files showing as unknown. I've seen similar behaviour myself.

This does however beg the question: why does PM mark them as unknown? In my opinion it should simply not count them...
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 11:23:46 PM »
Jenny,

I noticed that PM doesn't seem to be recognizing .RAF files. They're marked 'unknown' in the bottom left of the window, see the screenie attached.

This is on Win7 PM 5.0, build 13915. The files are from a Fuji X-E1. I'd be happy to send you samples if you need the raw files to dig into.

PM5 definitely knows about your RAF files.  Otherwise, your lone RAF image would be represented by a proxy image and would not show your actual image data.

The counts in your image are RAW: 2, Non-RAW: 1, Unknown: 2.  All of your images are accounted for.  Either your folder has two more files that PM doesn't know about, or PM is not accounting for known attached files properly (.WAV, .XMP, .IPT, etc.)

What does the folder look like in Windows Explorer?

-Kirk

Offline Jen Mack

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 08:57:43 AM »
Doing some testing, I found that it's the .xmp files that are counting as unkown!

I opened a folder (I've since delete the test folder that I posted the screenshot of), and removed all the .xmp files and the count showed 12+12 image files, for the 12 raf and jpg files in the folder. I added 1 .xmp file back in and the "1 unknown" status showed back up.

Would it matter that I have the .xmp extension mapped to Notepad, so that it opens when I double click on the file?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 10:23:42 AM »
No.  We'll fix this problem in the next build.

Rest assured that there is nothing significant going wrong with PM or your workflow.

-Kirk

Offline Jen Mack

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 02:57:10 PM »
Yay! \o/