Photo Mechanic > Support

Problems renaming twice using {frame4}

(1/3) > >>

lonc:
I made a mistake and renamed some photos with the following string:

xxx_{year2}{month}{day0}_{frame4}

I thought I would just rename the same photos again with the following string but {frame4} doesn't work on the 2nd try:

xxx_{year2}{month0}{day0}_{frame4}

Is this correct? The files were .CR2 files from a Canon 5D.

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: lonc on December 13, 2006, 08:42:53 AM ---I made a mistake and renamed some photos with the following string:

xxx_{year2}{month}{day0}_{frame4}

I thought I would just rename the same photos again with the following string but {frame4} doesn't work on the 2nd try:

xxx_{year2}{month0}{day0}_{frame4}

Is this correct? The files were .CR2 files from a Canon 5D.

--- End quote ---

Did you Ingest the CR2 files to get them onto your system?

-Kirk

lonc:
No, I just copied with the finder.

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: lonc on December 13, 2006, 03:52:02 PM ---No, I just copied with the finder.
--- End quote ---

OK, we're looking into it.

-Kirk

dennis:
The issue here is that the frame number is not always written into the file (Exif makernote).  So what Photo Mechanic does is to try and "infer" the frame number based-upon the filename, but this requires the 8 character filename that cameras write with the last four characters being digits.

If you copy a file (e.g. with Ingest) or otherwise cause PM to change the image preferences (e.g. tag it), then this inferred frame number will stick with the photo in the preferences and PM won't need to rely on the filename being formatted as above.

So, if didn't use Ingest (such that you are looking at original camera files) and renamed initially using the {frame4} variable, then you closed the contact sheet and then re-opened the same folder, the frame number will not be inferred and it will be blank.  If, however, you don't close the contact sheet, then PM should still be remembering the inferred frame number with the renamed photo.

So you might consider using Ingest in the future.  You might also want to tuck the original filename somewhere in the IPTC (e.g. put {filenamebase} into the Transmission Reference field).  Then later you can get back the original filename by renaming as {transref}.

--dennis

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version