Author Topic: GPS Coordinates Format  (Read 3561 times)

Offline mackguyver

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
GPS Coordinates Format
« on: September 01, 2013, 05:58:05 PM »
I submitted the following information through Camerabits.com support page (http://www.camerabits.com/support/) back on July 14th, but never received anything other than an automated reply, so I thought I would try to post here to see if I can get some help:

I am importing a .GPX file from Garmin with decimal coordinates in it (I opened it in Notepad to verify) and my [Photomechanic GPS] Preferences are set to the decimal format (d.ddddd) as well, but when I import the file into Photomechanic, my photos are tagged in the dd mm'ss.s format in the XMP file which I have also verified in a text editor and pasted below:

exif:GPSLatitude="30,31.302N"
exif:GPSLongitude="84,15.391W"
exif:GPSAltitudeRef="0"
exif:GPSAltitude="541/10"
exif:GPSSpeedRef="M"
exif:GPSSpeed="1/10"
exif:GPSDateTime="2013-07-14T14:49:04Z">

Is this the standard for GPS in XMP/EXIF or a bug in PhotoMechanic? I ask because it is causing a number of my JPEGs not to Geocode on SmugMug's site.

I have geocoded my JPGs using Garmin's Basecamp software with good luck, but would like to use Photomechanic to update my XMP files instead, and to save the hassle of having to use Garmin's software. 

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Ian

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: GPS Coordinates Format
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 07:12:54 PM »
Ian,

I submitted the following information through Camerabits.com support page (http://www.camerabits.com/support/) back on July 14th, but never received anything other than an automated reply, so I thought I would try to post here to see if I can get some help:

I am importing a .GPX file from Garmin with decimal coordinates in it (I opened it in Notepad to verify) and my [Photomechanic GPS] Preferences are set to the decimal format (d.ddddd) as well, but when I import the file into Photomechanic, my photos are tagged in the dd mm'ss.s format in the XMP file which I have also verified in a text editor and pasted below:

exif:GPSLatitude="30,31.302N"
exif:GPSLongitude="84,15.391W"
exif:GPSAltitudeRef="0"
exif:GPSAltitude="541/10"
exif:GPSSpeedRef="M"
exif:GPSSpeed="1/10"
exif:GPSDateTime="2013-07-14T14:49:04Z">

Is this the standard for GPS in XMP/EXIF or a bug in PhotoMechanic? I ask because it is causing a number of my JPEGs not to Geocode on SmugMug's site.

I have geocoded my JPGs using Garmin's Basecamp software with good luck, but would like to use Photomechanic to update my XMP files instead, and to save the hassle of having to use Garmin's software. 

That preference setting controls only how GPS coordinates are displayed to you and not how they're written to metadata.  PM writes out the GPS tag values in the required format.  Perhaps ask the SmugMug people why a particular image of your isn't having its GPS coordinates picked up properly?

-Kirk

Offline mackguyver

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: GPS Coordinates Format
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 09:25:31 AM »
Kirk,

Thank you for your reply and the clarification on the GPS coordinate setting works in PM.  I'll contact SmugMug and follow up here with their reply.  I'm also going to try uploading the files using PM to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
Ian