Photo Mechanic > General Discussion

Carriage returns in IPTC Caption field

<< < (2/2)

RobertE:

--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on December 24, 2006, 04:53:08 PM ---As far as I know there is no "People" field in either IPTC or in the IPTC4XMP core specification.  So unless someone can tell me what standard metadata has a People field, then I'm not sure that there's much I can do...
--- End quote ---

Hi Kirk,

The old iView MediaPro 2 'People' field maps to the little used but official IPTC IIM 'Contact' field.

-- Robert.

P.S. A belated Happy Christmas!

RobertE:

--- Quote from: cdavisjr on December 19, 2006, 02:33:22 PM ---I guess the People field in iView is a database-only field because I didn't see it appear in Photo Mechanic.
--- End quote ---

Hi Carl,

Photoshop 7/CS/CS2 can read the iView people field c/- an iView plugin.

-- Robert.

Kevin M. Cox:
I simply enter people's names into the Keywords field separated by commas without spaces. Only people actually in the photo go in the keywords.

John Doe,Jane Doe,Bob Smith

I do this because the caption will often contain other names, ie: John Doe catches an 80 yard touchdown reception thrown by Bob Smith....   In this case only John would be in the photo. This way when I need to pull a file shot of Bob Smith I can search only the Keywords field and not have PM return the photo that mentions Bob in the caption but doesn't show him in the photo.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

mateomtb:
I have had an instance of carriage returns creating a minor display problem. When cut and pasting captions over to a web slideshow manager I use, any carriage returns are seen as line breaks and show up as </b> to the end user. I am generating the text for display from an xml file which is being directed via actionscript inside a flash project.

This is of course not a PM issue, but there are some things out there that may not like it. Just test a file captioned how you want to do things and see if any of your workflow steps choke on it. I think you'll be safe doing what you are proposing.

mateo

ANewman:
AP uses the "Headline" field for peoples' names, but only "newsmakers" ie: President Bush, Peyton Manning, Eddie Murphy, Colin Powell, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version