Author Topic: LR / PM issue - 1  (Read 3499 times)

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
LR / PM issue - 1
« on: July 26, 2013, 09:58:30 AM »
I'll try not to make this too convoluted-

There are 2 fields in PM IPTC data that I use for client info - name, email , Phone. Special Instruction & edit status - I use these because they do NOT show up when I upload to zenfolio. BUT I can't find them in Lightroom 4.4.
can anyone tell me if they are editable / searchable in LR?

Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: LR / PM issue - 1
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 02:10:07 PM »
Checking the Lightroom 4.4 "metadata" module in the Library tab, and looking at the IPTC and IPTC Extension fields, I don't see those two fields as being available to edit or search.

One workaround might be to upload to Zenfolio from Photo Mechanic and apply a special Stationery Pad during the upload that would hide whatever fields you wanted to omit from the uploads, leaving the fields populated (and searchable) in your local versions.

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 03:10:59 PM »
I'll try not to make this too convoluted-

There are 2 fields in PM IPTC data that I use for client info - name, email , Phone. Special Instruction & edit status - I use these because they do NOT show up when I upload to zenfolio. BUT I can't find them in Lightroom 4.4.
can anyone tell me if they are editable / searchable in LR?

Those two fields have been deprecated for some time now.  PM still supports them, but not all applications do.

-Kirk

Offline Jen Mack

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 09:02:50 AM »
Those two fields have been deprecated for some time now.  PM still supports them, but not all applications do.

-Kirk

Could you mark the depreciated fields in someway? Like dim the name, add an asterisk, or use italics as a way of showing this.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 10:25:41 AM »
You mean in Photo Mechanic?  Is that really necessary?  We'll keep on supporting them and we see no need to stop supporting them.  We have customers going back fifteen years that may want to work with their old images and we don't want them to feel like support is going away because it won't go away.

-Kirk

Offline jwvaughn

• Retired programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 11:50:42 AM »
You mean in Photo Mechanic?  Is that really necessary?  We'll keep on supporting them and we see no need to stop supporting them.  We have customers going back fifteen years that may want to work with their old images and we don't want them to feel like support is going away because it won't go away.

-Kirk

Hi Kirk,

I appreciate PM's continuing support but agree with Jenny that indicating depreciation would give one a clue that the field may not work in other applications. I am certain that most of us do not follow the changes in the standards as closely you folks and clues in PM would help us stay out of trouble.

One small step for programming, one large step for human engineering  :)

Jerry

Offline Jen Mack

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 02:59:41 PM »
I was thinking about a visual indicator only, nothing affecting the actual data or field layout.

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 10:35:33 AM »
Is there a list of fields that LR does not support as searchable? I have been using PM's "edit Status" field for some time and LR does not search it - (oddly Picasa does) But I also would love an asterisk next to fields that LR does not search/use - (Is there a difference - if LR uses it is it searched?) 
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com