Author Topic: Save as from Nikon Raw files  (Read 1843 times)

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
Save as from Nikon Raw files
« on: January 22, 2014, 09:19:51 AM »
This seems like a new behavior... when I 'Save as' from a Nikon Raw file, the saved file does not show the edits I have made to the file in Nikon Capture NX2.   Maybe there is some setting that got changed, but I'm missing it.

This attached screen shot is from the contact sheet.  The image on the right is PM's rendition of the raw file.  I added the orange 'hi' streak in Capture NX2, then saved it back to itself.  The preview looks just like it should.  But then when I try to 'Save as' to a jpg -- the orange streak is gone (as are other less visible changes, such as sharpening.)

Any idea what's happening here?

Thanks!

Using PM 5.0.15077 on OS X 10.8.5

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Save as from Nikon Raw files
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 10:09:14 AM »
Ron,

This seems like a new behavior... when I 'Save as' from a Nikon Raw file, the saved file does not show the edits I have made to the file in Nikon Capture NX2.   Maybe there is some setting that got changed, but I'm missing it.

This attached screen shot is from the contact sheet.  The image on the right is PM's rendition of the raw file.  I added the orange 'hi' streak in Capture NX2, then saved it back to itself.  The preview looks just like it should.  But then when I try to 'Save as' to a jpg -- the orange streak is gone (as are other less visible changes, such as sharpening.)

Any idea what's happening here?

Thanks!

Using PM 5.0.15077 on OS X 10.8.5

Are you telling PM to render the RAW file or use the embedded preview?  You must tell it to use the embedded preview.  Otherwise PM will use Apple's RAW rendering capability to render from the RAW data (which completely ignores anything you've done in CNX2.)

-Kirk

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 10:51:58 AM »
ng.)

Are you telling PM to render the RAW file or use the embedded preview?  You must tell it to use the embedded preview.  Otherwise PM will use Apple's RAW rendering capability to render from the RAW data (which completely ignores anything you've done in CNX2.)

-Kirk

If I uncheck "enable raw rendering (using apples imageio)" then it sees to work as I would expect.

I guess the confusing to me is that the contact sheet and the 'Save as' process should use the same version of the image.  Is there a reason to have separate control over the two renderings?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 12:44:42 PM »
Ron,

ng.)

If I uncheck "enable raw rendering (using apples imageio)" then it sees to work as I would expect.

I guess the confusing to me is that the contact sheet and the 'Save as' process should use the same version of the image.  Is there a reason to have separate control over the two renderings?

For flexibility.

In all of the output dialogs you have final control over what source image data is used.

-Kirk