Author Topic: PM Writing Info to RAW Files.  (Read 8236 times)

Offline danieljcox

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM Writing Info to RAW Files.
« on: January 01, 2007, 02:14:12 PM »
Has anyone ever had any problems with an original RAW file after PM has written things such as Captions, Copyright etc to that same original RAW file? I know Photoshop and Bridge write the side car files to eliminate any potential for this problem. I've added IPTC info to several thousand Nikon RAW files via PM and have never had an issue but I'm feeling a bit paranoid since PM is becoming a large part of my work flow. Any thoughts out there on this potential problem? Would appreciate hearing from all who have more experience on either the plus or minus points of this concern. Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM Writing Info to RAW Files.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 04:58:08 PM »
Has anyone ever had any problems with an original RAW file after PM has written things such as Captions, Copyright etc to that same original RAW file? I know Photoshop and Bridge write the side car files to eliminate any potential for this problem. I've added IPTC info to several thousand Nikon RAW files via PM and have never had an issue but I'm feeling a bit paranoid since PM is becoming a large part of my work flow. Any thoughts out there on this potential problem? Would appreciate hearing from all who have more experience on either the plus or minus points of this concern. Thanks.

While I have heard of no problems outside of some of Apple's software (which we have filed numerous bug reports on) you can always remove the captions and get back to the original files (creating sidecar XMP files in the process) by using the "Revert TIFF-based RAW files to original" command on the Tools menu.  This will undo any changes made to the RAW file.

Just FYI,

-Kirk

Offline danieljcox

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 09:06:56 AM »

While I have heard of no problems outside of some of Apple's software (which we have filed numerous bug reports on) you can always remove the captions and get back to the original files (creating sidecar XMP files in the process) by using the "Revert TIFF-based RAW files to original" command on the Tools menu.  This will undo any changes made to the RAW file.

Just FYI,

-Kirk

Kirk,

Thanks for the info. Can you clarify a couple of things? Which Apple software has PM had issues with? I'm a bit confused on the "Revert TIFF-based RAW Files to original". I'm not converting any of my RAWs to TIFF's. I'm just captioning the RAWs. Would this option of removing the captions etc still work if they had not been converted to TIFFs? And finally, how do you create side car files via PM in the process. Is there more detailed information yo can share. thanks for your time. I appreciate your help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 09:16:57 AM »

Thanks for the info. Can you clarify a couple of things? Which Apple software has PM had issues with?

Aperture and the underlying framework that it uses called ImageIO.

Quote from: jimbridger
I'm a bit confused on the "Revert TIFF-based RAW Files to original". I'm not converting any of my RAWs to TIFF's. I'm just captioning the RAWs. Would this option of removing the captions etc still work if they had not been converted to TIFFs? And finally, how do you create side car files via PM in the process. Is there more detailed information yo can share. thanks for your time. I appreciate your help.

This has nothing to do with TIFF files produced from your RAW files.  Many camera manufacturers use the TIFF file format as the basis for the layout of their RAW files.  NEF files are TIFF-based and as such we can safely caption them and moreover we can return them to their original state with the "Revert TIFF-based RAW Files to original" tool.

Using this tool will not turn your NEF files into TIFF files.  They will be the original NEF file as if Photo Mechanic had never touched them at all.

Does that make sense?

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline danieljcox

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 10:33:54 AM »
Super! That makes more sense. Thanks for clarifying.