Author Topic: Search Captured returns out of range images  (Read 1709 times)

Offline PeterM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Search Captured returns out of range images
« on: February 13, 2014, 12:25:01 AM »
I am running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 15277 (0ebcc6a) on a Mac running Mavericks OS X v10.9.1

I have searched other posts and couldn't find the answer but happy to be redirected.

Beginning with the desired end result in mind what I would like is to have a contact window with all of photos I took in a particular period e.g. 2013.

However, when I use Search and choose the captured field I get photos that are both in and out of the specified date range. For in range photos the IPTC Time and Date field shows, for example, 29/12/2013 (dates in metric format) and the Get Info Created Date in Finder in Mac OS also shows the same date. However, an out of range photo might show in the IPTC Time and Date field 15/11/2005 but Get Info Created Date in Finder in Mac OS shows 4/12/2013.

I assume the Mac OS created date refers to when I 'created' a copy of the photo even though the IPTC field is preserved. Is there any way to search for photos using the IPTC Time and Date field (either in PM or within the Mac OS)?

Thanks!

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Search Captured returns out of range images
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »
Within PM this is currently not possible (when we get the catalogue functionality, I'm sure it will be), but with the Mac Finder, you may get the result you want by specifying a search on the attribute "Created" (not "Date Created"!). To do this, start a search in a Finder window, then click the plus sign next to the save button and a new criterion line will pop up. In here click the left button (usually "Kind", by default), and select "Created", you likely don't see that in the short list so first select "other" and then select "Created" (you may enable it in the menu as well by ticking the box). Now you can choose the date (range) you want.

Note: if it's just one day (e.g., 13/2/2014) you are looking for, you can also type "created:13/2/2014" in the search bar directly. This at least seems to work for me just fine.

Hope this helps,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline PeterM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Search Captured returns out of range images
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 01:01:29 AM »
Hayo Baan,

Helpful answer even if only to know a function isn't possible to PM. I tried the solution you suggested of using Spotlight 'Created' and 'Date Created' and still don't get an accurate list of files created using the exif data. I think the Mac OS is using dates for when the file was created on the computer, for example when a file is copied vs the exif created date. (Apologies as I realize I want the exif data not the IPTC information, even though they might be the same for date created.) Maybe there is an exif editor solution to this.

Thanks

Peter