Author Topic: Is it me or is Find And Replace not working in build 15451?  (Read 12751 times)

Offline Simon DTW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Is it me or is Find And Replace not working in build 15451?
« on: April 07, 2014, 01:39:05 AM »
Just tried a simple one word replacement in a caption field and the error message comes up that the 'Search Terms were not found', all boxes are ticked as per default settings so it should just work no?

best

Simon

Mac 10.9.2

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
Re: Is it me or is Find And Replace not working in build 15451?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 03:35:51 AM »
Just tried a simple one word replacement in a caption field and the error message comes up that the 'Search Terms were not found', all boxes are ticked as per default settings so it should just work no?

best

Simon

Mac 10.9.2

Hi,
Mine is working fine. Mac 10.8.5
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Frank

• View Profile
    • Frank Fitzpatrick Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 12:27:43 PM »
17338 has the same problem. I can find an empty field and I know how many image files I need to find and replace data in. When I then try Find and replace it PM does not find the same string.   

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 06:13:51 PM »
Frank,

17338 has the same problem. I can find an empty field and I know how many image files I need to find and replace data in. When I then try Find and replace it PM does not find the same string.

So the Find panel will find what you're searching for, but the Find and Replace panel with the same criteria will not?  Am I understanding you correctly?

Could you post some screenshots to illustrate?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshots.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline gdpaige

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 07:27:10 PM »
I am having the same problem. A simple one word find and its replacement refuses to implement, with the same message that it cannot be found. I have tried every permutation of the tool's settings to no avail. The find tool works nicely, with the same word.
has there been any further wisdom on this one?
thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 09:41:44 PM »
I am having the same problem. A simple one word find and its replacement refuses to implement, with the same message that it cannot be found. I have tried every permutation of the tool's settings to no avail. The find tool works nicely, with the same word.
has there been any further wisdom on this one?

If you can help me reproduce the problem then I can fix it.  Without a reproducible case it is very difficult to fix a bug in a timely manner.  Screenshots of your Find and Replace panel along with sample images would be most helpful.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline gdpaige

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 05:42:54 AM »
Kirk:  An interesting wrinkle is that I tried the exact same thing on my laptop (same Win 8.1 system), using the same photos that were transferred from the laptop to my main PC. Here is the screenshot below. It works on the laptop but fails on the main PC repeatedly.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 09:24:15 AM »
Gary,

I was able to find and replace Lyons with Lions using your settings and sample image.  You are able to reproduce the problem with the same image you uploaded?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline gdpaige

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 05:31:07 PM »
Thanks, Kirk. Unfortunately, the F&R only works on my notebook, not the main PC. Both are running Win 8.1. I have not found other glitches, but this one is a very useful tool. I wonder if there is a subtle corruption in the current program. Thoughts?  If I need to remove and restore PM, is there a deeper set of deletions that are needed, such as configuration files that remain, etc.? I'm happy to try whatever you think might help
Gary

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 07:16:19 PM »
Gary,

Thanks, Kirk. Unfortunately, the F&R only works on my notebook, not the main PC. Both are running Win 8.1. I have not found other glitches, but this one is a very useful tool. I wonder if there is a subtle corruption in the current program. Thoughts?  If I need to remove and restore PM, is there a deeper set of deletions that are needed, such as configuration files that remain, etc.? I'm happy to try whatever you think might help

I doubt that there is a problem with the install on one of your computers vs. another.  I suggest at this point comparing each and every setting in the various Preferences tabs in PM on each of your computers.

If you take the sample image you provided and put it on both computers, does one fail to find and replace but the other succeeds?

I would be happy to work with you closely on this issue until it is solved.  I would provide you with special builds that will log information (that you will then share with me) that will help me pinpoint the problem.  Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline gdpaige

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 07:26:52 PM »
That's very kind of you. Yes, I did, indeed, take both the NEF and its JPG images from the main PC, copied them to the notebook, and also the opposite, and in both cases, the notebook succeeded with the F&R function while the main PC failed. I will take your advice and compare all preference settings. I should add that these are both set up to play nicely with Nikon's CNX2, and I wonder if there is a setting issue there. Sadly, I need to shift away from CNX2, and am strongly leaning toward Capture 1 Pro 9, but that is another story....
Cheers
Gary

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 09:29:19 AM »
Gary,

That's very kind of you. Yes, I did, indeed, take both the NEF and its JPG images from the main PC, copied them to the notebook, and also the opposite, and in both cases, the notebook succeeded with the F&R function while the main PC failed. I will take your advice and compare all preference settings. I should add that these are both set up to play nicely with Nikon's CNX2, and I wonder if there is a setting issue there. Sadly, I need to shift away from CNX2, and am strongly leaning toward Capture 1 Pro 9, but that is another story....

I take it that you are willing to run some special builds for me and report back your results?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline gdpaige

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 01:08:18 PM »
Kirk:  Yes, I would be willing. However, what I found today is rather astonishing. I compared the 'preferences' on both machines. There were two miner differences that I changed on the PC:
   'combine RAW and JPG into single thumbnail'  was unchecked.
   'wrap around to beginning/end when advancing...'  was checked.
A few differences in the IPTC/XMP list (what to read first, etc.) were also different, but I chose to do a bit at a time and test the waters. Those seemingly innocuous settings changed on the PC somehow fixed the problem, and I was able to do some bulk text changes. Does this make any sense to you?  It seems awfully subtle from my vantage. In any case, F&R now works on my PC. Thanks for the prod to check the Preferences in general.
cheers
Gary

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 01:34:33 PM »
Gary,

Kirk:  Yes, I would be willing. However, what I found today is rather astonishing. I compared the 'preferences' on both machines. There were two miner differences that I changed on the PC:
   'combine RAW and JPG into single thumbnail'  was unchecked.
   'wrap around to beginning/end when advancing...'  was checked.
A few differences in the IPTC/XMP list (what to read first, etc.) were also different, but I chose to do a bit at a time and test the waters. Those seemingly innocuous settings changed on the PC somehow fixed the problem, and I was able to do some bulk text changes. Does this make any sense to you?  It seems awfully subtle from my vantage. In any case, F&R now works on my PC. Thanks for the prod to check the Preferences in general.

Can you share the settings that cause the problem to occur?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline gdpaige

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 07:35:05 PM »
They are just the two noted above. I'm not even sure that these changes contain the culprit, only that I changed them as shown, and the tool worked--very mysterious. I just hope that this might trigger some wisdom on the code entailed that might contain the issue.