Author Topic: Resolution value is changing for unknown reason  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Andymann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Resolution value is changing for unknown reason
« on: May 02, 2014, 02:29:43 AM »
I have some images in web resolution, saved as 72dpi via PS CS 2. I want to embedd my Metadata via PM 5.x. First control of my images shows the correct resolution of 72 dpi. After adding my Metadata via PM the resolution switches for some unknown reason from 72 dpi up to strange 508dpi. I remember same behaviour in the previous PM 4.6.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Resolution value is changing for unknown reason
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 06:22:07 AM »
I have some images in web resolution, saved as 72dpi via PS CS 2. I want to embedd my Metadata via PM 5.x. First control of my images shows the correct resolution of 72 dpi. After adding my Metadata via PM the resolution switches for some unknown reason from 72 dpi up to strange 508dpi. I remember same behaviour in the previous PM 4.6.

What specific metadata are you adding?  IPTC?  GPS coordinates?

-Kirk

Offline Andymann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 06:24:12 AM »
IPTC, no GPS

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 04:30:26 PM »
Hmm, this is like having 200 pixels / inch but expressed as cm / inch (200 * 2.54 = 508).

In the PM Files preference, do you have the box checked to "Add Photoshop resolution info to Camera JPEGs during IPTC update"?  What is your preference for Resolution units (pixels per inch or pixels per cm)?

What variable are you using to display resolution (PM has three variables: {resolution}, {resolutioninches}, an {resolutioncms})?

Try unchecking the "add resolution" box if you have it checked.  This setting is mainly for "camera JPEGs" which means files that are straight from a camera where the resolution may not be properly set (e.g. a 16 megapixel image at 72 DPI is quite a large print size).  Remember, PM isn't changing your image dimension, just the resolution info that is used when the photo is actually printed (and of course this can be and should probably be overridden during printing).

--dennis

Offline Andymann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 12:07:29 AM »
Hi Dennis,

haven't changed anything yet. Below are the current settings. Please let me know in which order I shall try to solve this issue. Thank you.

In the PM Files preference, do you have the box checked to "Add Photoshop resolution info to Camera JPEGs during IPTC update"?

- this box is checked

What is your preference for Resolution units (pixels per inch or pixels per cm)?

- pixels per cm

What variable are you using to display resolution (PM has three variables: {resolution}, {resolutioninches}, an {resolutioncms})?

- Aufloesung: {resolutioninches}

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 12:14:50 PM »
What is the value you have for "Default image resolution to use"?  This would be in pixels per cm.  Is it 200?  If so, then when you use {resolutioninches} you should see 508.

200 pixels per cm = 508 pixels per inch

If you don't want PM to modify the resolution just uncheck the "add resolution" box.

--dennis

Offline Andymann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 04:51:56 AM »
It seems that unchecking the box "add resolution.." has solved the issue.