Author Topic: PM Adding Letter A to File Name  (Read 1937 times)

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
PM Adding Letter A to File Name
« on: May 24, 2014, 10:18:42 AM »
Mac OS 10.9.2 and PM V 5 Build 15011
Today, PM started duplicating and adding the letter A to each file ingested. I haven't made any changes to the ingest dialog and wonder how I can eliminate this duplication. The files are Olympus Raws taken with and E-M1. Thanks, Richard
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 10:25:15 AM by rbsandor »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM Adding Letter A to File Name
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 11:14:50 AM »
Richard,

Mac OS 10.9.2 and PM V 5 Build 15011
Today, PM started duplicating and adding the letter A to each file ingested. I haven't made any changes to the ingest dialog and wonder how I can eliminate this duplication. The files are Olympus Raws taken with and E-M1.

Are you formatting your card each time you put it into your camera?  If not, are you using Incremental Ingest?  If you're not re-formatting and you're not using Incremental Ingest, then your images will get duplicated over and over again each time you ingest your card.

-Kirk

P.S. Your version of Photo Mechanic is very much out of date.  I suggest that all PM5 users upgrade to the latest build: 15451.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 11:18:02 AM »
Hi Richard,

If PM is adding the letter A to your files, you are (inadvertently?) ingesting duplicates. There are a couple of potential reasons for this:
1. You are ingesting the same memory card twice without having “incremental ingest” .
2. You do have “incremental ingest” set, but you somehow deleted the small files PM uses to determine where you left off ingesting.
3. You have simply run out of unique file names; if you do not rename the camera files, once it reaches number 9999, the camera will restart at 0000. But even if you rename, you must make sure the file names are truly unique. PM will never overwrite files, but will append a letter (or digit, depending on your preferences) if there is a conflict.

Hope this helps,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 02:53:09 PM »
Kirk and Hayo: thanks for your responses. I just discovered the cause of the problem. I was downloading to 2 external hard drives. I really should have much had more coffee before choosing the file paths as I chose the same external drive for both primary and secondary. Sorry to have wasted your time. Please send head slap via email. Richard
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 03:00:44 PM by rbsandor »