Author Topic: PM slow and crashing since latest OSX update  (Read 2708 times)

Offline graemefordham

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM slow and crashing since latest OSX update
« on: June 25, 2014, 01:50:54 AM »
Hi,

PM is an invaluable tool in my workflow and was working seamlessly. I have started noticing issues recently, perhaps since the last OSX update (Maverics 10.9.3 on Macbook Pro with SSD) at the beginning of June. Spinning wheel grinding around often, contact sheets going blank suddenly and periodic crashing. I have to say that none of this was present at all last month. I am not 100% sure but it seems as though it was the update that might have affected PM's performance. I will continue to troubleshoot but I'm interested in others' experiences, as what was a superb program is now very frustrating and slow to use. 

Any comments and Camera Bits support is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Graeme
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 02:18:52 AM by graemefordham »

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: PM slow and crashing since latest OSX update
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 03:11:20 AM »
Hi Graeme,

Hmm, sounds like your OS update may have failed. I too am on 10.9.3 and neither of my systems suffer from the problems you're reporting. Have you already tried downloading and installing a fresh copy of PhotoMechanic?
If that doesn't help, you can also try to remove the preferences (make a backup of them before you zap 'm).  The preferences are located in the ~/Library/Preferences folder. They consist of a number of files and one directory, all starting with com.camerabits

Hope this helps,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 07:33:41 AM »
Graeme,

PM is an invaluable tool in my workflow and was working seamlessly. I have started noticing issues recently, perhaps since the last OSX update (Maverics 10.9.3 on Macbook Pro with SSD) at the beginning of June. Spinning wheel grinding around often, contact sheets going blank suddenly and periodic crashing. I have to say that none of this was present at all last month. I am not 100% sure but it seems as though it was the update that might have affected PM's performance. I will continue to troubleshoot but I'm interested in others' experiences, as what was a superb program is now very frustrating and slow to use. 

I also suggest getting the latest version of PM (you didn't mention if you were on PM 4.6.x or PM 5) that you're entitled to.  If that doesn't fix the problem then I suggest resetting your preferences.  This page tells you how to completely reset your preferences: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=8218.0

-Kirk

Offline graemefordham

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 01:07:40 AM »
Many thanks Hayo and Kirk,

I've loaded a fresh copy (I was running build 15451 before as well) and cleared out the preferences... I'll monitor it now with day to day use and come back if there are any issues. The 10.9.3 OSX update seems fine in and of itself so I will see now what the fresh PM install brings.

Thanks a lot for the fast response and suggestions. I'm sure it will do the trick.

Cheers, Graeme 

Offline Rob Trudeau

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 08:51:42 PM »
Thank you, thank you, thanks you. PM was driving me crazy, with how slow it was running but resetting the preference worked and now it's running great.

Ok I jumped the gun, as soon as I shut PM down and re-opened it the lagging started again. I have reset the preferences but still it lags , this is driving me crazy. I shoot a lot of events and Pro MMA so I have thousands of photos to go through and cull but so far PM has not helped at all, can anyone help???

I'm running a Mac Pro 2008 with 12 gigs ram OS X 10.9.3
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:13:08 PM by Rob Trudeau »