Author Topic: Editing in ACR with no changes  (Read 2403 times)

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
Editing in ACR with no changes
« on: May 27, 2014, 10:01:44 AM »
Hello,

These days, I'm working on people (specially kids) faces.

Most of the images have red-eye problems, so I use the ACR built-in tool to fix them (it works like a champ!)

The fact is, there's something I'm missing because the correct version is not been visible when I return to PM.

This is the workflow I do:
 Ingest into PM > Color tag > Select by color > Edit each them (pressing E) in ACR (commonly rotate, crop and red-eye) >
 Press "Done" and then TAB back to PM. I get the contact sheet, the crop is visible in the thumbnail but no red-eye correction is done.

What is wrong? Consider that I shoot JPG all the time. No RAW.

I have PM 5.0.15451 and ACR 8.4.1
Windows 7 64bit

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 10:06:15 AM by fabianlujan »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Editing in ACR with no changes
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 10:33:55 AM »
These days, I'm working on people (specially kids) faces.

Most of the images have red-eye problems, so I use the ACR built-in tool to fix them (it works like a champ!)

The fact is, there's something I'm missing because the correct version is not been visible when I return to PM.

This is the workflow I do:
 Ingest into PM > Color tag > Select by color > Edit each them (pressing E) in ACR (commonly rotate, crop and red-eye) >
 Press "Done" and then TAB back to PM. I get the contact sheet, the crop is visible in the thumbnail but no red-eye correction is done.

What is wrong? Consider that I shoot JPG all the time. No RAW.

Are the image data changes being written back to the original JPEG files?

-Kirk

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 10:35:54 AM »
How can I determine it?
As I said, I press "done" and then tab back to PM.
How can I confirm it or not?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
I think for JPEGs and TIFFs processed by ACR you need to open the image and save it in Photoshop itself.  Otherwise you have only saved metadata changes (crops and other image adjustments) and not any image data.  If you open the JPEG with some other image editing/display application without re-saving the image, you should not see the red-eye fixes.

Please note that each time you save your JPEG, you will suffer a generational loss from re-compressing the image when it is re-saved.

-Kirk

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 11:06:45 AM »
Okay, understood.
What I think is the best way to reduce loss and get the final result (red-eye removed) is by only cropping-rotating in ACR and make the red-eye fix as the last step before saving.
Instead of pressing "done", I have to press "Open Image", apply red-eye and save.
Am I ok? Thanks!

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 11:16:28 AM »
Okay, understood.
What I think is the best way to reduce loss and get the final result (red-eye removed) is by only cropping-rotating in ACR and make the red-eye fix as the last step before saving.
Instead of pressing "done", I have to press "Open Image", apply red-eye and save.
Am I ok? Thanks!

In ACR you can use the Save Image option (lower left corner) and save the image with changes applied without going into Photoshop.  Selecting Done does not save the image with changes but does create a sidecar that Photoshop will read if the image is later opened in PS.