Author Topic: show / hide xml files (RESOLVED)  (Read 3711 times)

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
show / hide xml files (RESOLVED)
« on: July 20, 2014, 03:46:57 PM »
Greetings

I seem to be having problems understanding this....  despite running through several options in an attempt to solve the dilemma.

I use IPTC data; however, do not want to use sidecar xml files.  I thought I had set up PM to not produce sidecar files, but I have observed that when I process an image in CS the sidecar file returns.  I also have noticed that when I delete the sidecar file, the IPTC data remains contact. 

Is CS2 producing the file and is deleting it OK ?   If not, then how do I inhibit PM from producing xml sidecar files.

Attached is screen shot showing my current preferences.   Thank you,   WilloW

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:34:02 PM by Willow »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: show / hide xml files
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 07:15:51 PM »
WilloW,

I seem to be having problems understanding this....  despite running through several options in an attempt to solve the dilemma.

I use IPTC data; however, do not want to use sidecar xml files.  I thought I had set up PM to not produce sidecar files, but I have observed that when I process an image in CS the sidecar file returns.  I also have noticed that when I delete the sidecar file, the IPTC data remains contact. 

Is CS2 producing the file and is deleting it OK ?   If not, then how do I inhibit PM from producing xml sidecar files.

Attached is screen shot showing my current preferences.   Thank you,   WilloW

Photoshop is indeed producing the XMP sidecar files.  Once they exist, PM will keep them in-sync with any metadata changes you make in PM.  Yes, you can delete them, but you will lose all of your adjustments you made in Photoshop CS2.

-Kirk

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 07:55:38 PM »
Hello Kirk

Thanks for the prompt reply.

When you say "loose all your adjustments".  Are you referring to metadata changes or post processing changes (levels, curves, sharpening, etc).

If the latter, are you referring to changes made to the CR2 file or to changes in PSD, Jpeg files that have been made ?

Thank you,   WilloW
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 07:59:13 PM by Willow »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 09:40:46 PM »
WilloW,

When you say "lose all your adjustments".  Are you referring to metadata changes or post processing changes (levels, curves, sharpening, etc).

If the latter, are you referring to changes made to the CR2 file or to changes in PSD, Jpeg files that have been made ?

Any changes that are reflected in the XMP sidecar file.  Generally these would be adjustments made in the ACR plugin.

You didn't mention the file format of the files you were working with, but DNG, PSD, JPEG, and TIFF files do not have XMP sidecar files and RAW files do have them.  If you produce a JPEG from an adjusted RAW file, the JPEG will have the adjustments in the embedded XMP metadata as well.

If you're going to be using Adobe tools, you might as well embrace the XMP sidecar file.  They're going to keep appearing whether you like it or not.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 11:24:45 PM »
If you're going to be using Adobe tools, you might as well embrace the XMP sidecar file.  They're going to keep appearing whether you like it or not.

Or completely embrace the dng solution. Not only will that get rid of the .xmp files as everything is embedded there too, it will also allow you to have an accurate preview inside the dng file. When I ditched Nikon Capture NX2 as my raw editor and switched over to ACR completely, I also switched to dng. I can only say it was a good move! I basically keep the workflow I had before where I can see all the results of my edits in PhotoMechanic, but now I am actually a lot faster. (Also see my blog on this)

Cheers,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
Re: show / hide xml files (RESOLVED)
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 11:33:41 PM »
All makes sense now - thank you Kirk and Hayo,   WilloW

PS - Kirk, I use PSD, Jpegs and RAW (obviously) but most of my processing is done in the PSD file.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:35:53 PM by Willow »