Author Topic: Problem opening a large Contact Sheet inside an existing large Contact Sheet  (Read 6323 times)

Offline Cyrano

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Running PM v5.0, build 16299 (579a307) under Windows 8.1 running on a SSD, Core i7-4930K CPU @ 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, image files stored on another internal SSD:

When in the Contact Sheet window, the feature "Open in current Contact Sheet" works perfectly in most cases. However, on my system it fails when two large folders are involved.

Folder A contains 12,201 .CR2 raw files, plus corresponding .XMP files, totaling to 24,402 files. Folder B contains 10,831 .CR2 raw files, plus corresponding .XMP files, totaling to 21,662 files. I can open each folder by itself into a new Contact Sheet in approximately two seconds.

After opening a single Contact Sheet for either folder, Windows' Task Manager reports approx. 9% CPU utilization, and approx. 5% utilization of the SSD containing the image files, for a long time after opening the Contact Sheet -- but the Contact Sheet is visible to me, and responsive, after approx. 2 seconds. By "responsive," I mean that I can scroll down into the Contact Sheet quickly and smoothly, and as soon as I stop scrolling, the thumbnails for the images now visible in the Contact Sheet window are generated nearly instantly.

However, if I have Folder A open in a Contact Sheet, then attempt to open Folder B into that existing contact sheet, I get an hourglass icon which persists for minutes, until I force PM closed via the Windows Task Manager.

This behavior is the same if I have Folder B open as a Contact Sheet, then attempt to open Folder A into the existing Contact Sheet.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 08:56:24 PM by Cyrano »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Running PM v5.0, build 16299 (579a307) under Windows 8.1 running on a SSD, Core i7-4930K CPU @ 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, image files stored on another internal SSD:

When in the Contact Sheet window, the feature "Open in current Contact Sheet" works perfectly in most cases. However, on my system it fails when two large folders are involved.

Folder A contains 12,201 .CR2 raw files, plus corresponding .XMP files, totaling to 24,402 files. Folder B contains 10,831 .CR2 raw files, plus corresponding .XMP files, totaling to 21,662 files. I can open each folder by itself into a new Contact Sheet in approximately two seconds.

After opening a single Contact Sheet for either folder, Windows' Task Manager reports approx. 9% CPU utilization, and approx. 5% utilization of the SSD containing the image files, for a long time after opening the Contact Sheet -- but the Contact Sheet is visible to me, and responsive, after approx. 2 seconds. By "responsive," I mean that I can scroll down into the Contact Sheet quickly and smoothly, and as soon as I stop scrolling, the thumbnails for the images now visible in the Contact Sheet window are generated nearly instantly.

However, if I have Folder A open in a Contact Sheet, then attempt to open Folder B into that existing contact sheet, I get an hourglass icon which persists for minutes, until I force PM closed via the Windows Task Manager.

This behavior is the same if I have Folder B open as a Contact Sheet, then attempt to open Folder A into the existing Contact Sheet.

And what kind of utilization do you get from the Task Manager when this behavior is exhibited by Photo Mechanic?

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Let's turn on some debug logging then.  Create a plain-text file in Photo Mechanic's preferences folder.  For me the folder is in this location:

C:\Users\kbaker\AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic\

In the contents of the file put:

SHOW_DIRSCAN_TIME ON

and save it as PMDebug.txt in your Photo Mechanic preferences folder.  You can also add the following extensions to ignore (if you're not using applications that create them) :

IGNORE_EXTENSION_THM ON
IGNORE_EXTENSION_LZN ON
IGNORE_EXTENSION_FLT ON
IGNORE_EXTENSION_BIB ON
IGNORE_EXTENSION_RDSF ON
IGNORE_EXTENSION_NKS ON
IGNORE_EXTENSION_XIP ON

Then relaunch Photo Mechanic and try opening your two folder contact sheet.  Force quit PM if it never finishes.  Then relaunch PM and go to its Help menu and choose Reveal Support Data...

Post the zipped PM log file that appears by replying to this message and using the Attachments and other options feature that appears while you're posting your reply.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Cyrano

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
And what kind of utilization do you get from the Task Manager when this behavior is exhibited by Photo Mechanic?

-Kirk

Task Manager shows PM's CPU utilization went up to 12%, but with a "Not responding" status. At the same time, utilization of the SSD containing the image files dropped to zero.

Offline Cyrano

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Let's turn on some debug logging then ...

Post the zipped PM log file that appears by replying to this message and using the Attachments and other options feature that appears while you're posting your reply.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Done. The file PMDebug.txt was put into C:\Users\Tony\AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic\PreferencesGeneralSettings
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 06:49:24 AM by Cyrano »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Let's turn on some debug logging then ...

Thanks,

-Kirk

Done. The file PMDebug.txt was put into C:\Users\Tony\AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic\PreferencesGeneralSettings

Wrong path.  Just put the file in with the rest of the files and folders in the C:\Users\Tony\AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic\ folder.  Run your test again and then post the zipped log file here.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Cyrano

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
And now, the problem disappears!

I just ran the test, and the 2nd Contact Sheet opened quickly inside the 1st Contact  Sheet.

I will re-post (including the debug log) if and when the problem recurs.