Author Topic: Can't read IPTC data  (Read 2528 times)

Offline mdebets

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Can't read IPTC data
« on: October 15, 2014, 01:29:51 PM »
I'm having problems with Photo Mechanic reading IPTC data from certain JPEG files (embedded data).
I started using MoPhoto on my Android mobile to update the IPTC data on my photos (from Canon 5D MKIII and 7D Cameras) and send them off to customers (who got the correct IPTC data).
When I download the photos on my MacBook, and go to Photo Mechanic to look at the IPTC data, Photo Mechanic shows me empty IPTC fields.
If I go to the finder - Get Info, I can see the correct IPTC data. The IPTC data is also visible in Lightroom 5 after import.
When I now go into Lightroom 5 and do 'Save Meta Data to File' and go back to Photo Mechanic, it will now show the IPTC data correctly.

Any idea, what could go wrong in this workflow, that Photo Mechanic can't the the IPTC data?

I'm using
Photo Mechanic 5.0, build 15077
Lightroom 5.6
Mac OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can't read IPTC data
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 02:12:27 PM »
I have no idea, but if you'll post a sample file, it should be easy to tell what is going on.  Also, post a screen shot of your IPTC/XMP preferences from Photo Mechanic.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline mdebets

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Can't read IPTC data
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 04:29:26 AM »
Thanks Kirk,
your hint actually solved the problem (it was the IPTC/XMP preferences, I could have sworn I was switching this before I posted here).

MoPhoto was only filling the embedded IPTC, but PhotoMechanic read the embedded XMP, so it was showing nothing. Lightroom must then have written the XMP from the IPTC as well, so I was then able to see it i Photo Mechanic.

Thanks