Author Topic: PM to Lightroom Workflow via DNG?  (Read 5534 times)

Offline gabster

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Photogabi
PM to Lightroom Workflow via DNG?
« on: September 15, 2014, 02:42:15 PM »
Hi all -

I am curious to know some of your impressions on having an efficient workflow from PM to Lightroom using RAW to DNG conversion (so the final set in Lightroom is in dng format). I really need this to make sense before I shell out $150.00.
Currently, this is what I am doing:

1. Tagging and adding color labeling to the photos on the card
2. Applying the IPTC Stationary Pad to the selected photos on the card
3. Copying the selected photos to the permanent location where I keep my Lightroom library
4. In Lightroom I sync the parent folder (this brings in the copied photos in the library)
5. and lastly, in lightroom I convert the raw photos to dng.

(BTW: converting the images to dng in PM, using the Adobe RAW to DNG converter, looses the labelling info unfortunately in Lightroom).

While PM offers a lightning fast previewing and browsing, I really need to justify buying it and not simply using lightroom's import function.

Any advice or suggestions welcomed.
thanks a lot,
Gabi.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM to Lightroom Workflow via DNG?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 03:58:58 PM »
Gabi,

I am curious to know some of your impressions on having an efficient workflow from PM to Lightroom using RAW to DNG conversion (so the final set in Lightroom is in dng format). I really need this to make sense before I shell out $150.00.
Currently, this is what I am doing:

1. Tagging and adding color labeling to the photos on the card
2. Applying the IPTC Stationary Pad to the selected photos on the card

We strongly discourage any editing on the card.  They are the only copy of your files in existence until you download them to your computer.  If an error were to occur, your valuable images could be lost forever.  Ingest first to get your images on your computer as soon as you can.  Then edit your images.

3. Copying the selected photos to the permanent location where I keep my Lightroom library
4. In Lightroom I sync the parent folder (this brings in the copied photos in the library)
5. and lastly, in lightroom I convert the raw photos to dng.

(BTW: converting the images to dng in PM, using the Adobe RAW to DNG converter, looses the labelling info unfortunately in Lightroom).

If you work on your hard drive instead of on your card, the DNG converter should keep your edits.  They're being lost because PM by default does not write to your card and the DNG converter has no XMP sidecar files to work from.  Ingesting first, then making your edits/metadata additions/file winnowing on your hard drive will be faster in the end and far more secure.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline gabster

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Photogabi
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 08:42:50 AM »
Kirk -

Thanks so much for the answer. That makes sense.
much obliged.

gabi

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 04:50:21 AM »
Hi,
I also work with PM and Lightroom right now and I would rather do everything I can in PM. Everything includes ingesting, tagging, deleting, applying metadata, copying, saving, etc. Then I import into LR (just synchronizing folders), edit, crop and convert (export) as jpeg/dng/tiff in LR.
From that point on I never go back to LR, just stick to PM if I need to watermark, e-mail, upload, etc.
HTH,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline VGER

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 04:02:15 AM »
Hi,

I just started using PM "in ernest", and this is how I do it:

- use PM to copy the files from card to hard disk, into a temporary folder

- tagging in PM: depending on the purpose of the shoot, I either
a) tag anything I want to keep: e.g. if I'm supposed to do a slideshow right afterwards
b) tag anything I want to discard: if I shot "for keeps" and not just "for the day"

- select "show tagged only":
if a), then use them (e.g. slideshow or export for a quick web gallery)
if b), then delete all

* Up until here it does not matter if I did the editing at home or on my laptop "on the road". My Lightroom catalog can only be accessed from home. That's where the "temporary" storage of PM comes in handy.

Now I either have a clean folder (without throw-aways, case b) or I'm done already (case a).

- for case b), I import the remaining folder into Lightroom using "copy to catalog". Here I fill in metadata, you might want to select "copy as DNG". (I do metadata and classify in Lightroom only because I don't want to maintain two different sets of characteristics and tag words.)

My Lightroom catalog-imagesource (not the catalog itself) is on a network drive, so the "copy" instead of "add" makes sense.

- Finally, I delete the temporary folder on the local hard disk. (It may be my laptop with very limited internal storage, so keeping the temps there is not an option.)

With this flow, I can do everything:

- work at home or on the road
- use PM to do a fast first-select (not possible in Lightroom, especially on the laptop)
- use Lightroom as long-time-storage, individual editing (including hand-off to plugins or Photoshop if needed) and cataloging
- before importing into Lightroom, I can let loose some batch-processing (like DxO Optics Pro) on the folder. If I did that from Lightroom, I would end up with two versions of the file in my catalog. This way, I can decide if I want to import the processed folder, the original folder or both. Of course, this depends heavily on the type of the shoot.

Long road for an image file to travel. But in practice, it's surprisingly quick.

Regards
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:05:06 AM by VGER »

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 04:18:47 PM »
Hi,
I myself would rather fill in metadata in PM - I find it definitely more logical and efficient. Besides that, I do not feel the need to generate DNG copies of my files, I just stick to the raw and high-quality jpegs.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi