Author Topic: renaming possibility  (Read 5185 times)

Offline redshoesgirl

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • gallery
renaming possibility
« on: October 16, 2014, 06:25:36 PM »
i have a folder of family photos that i mistakenly named each file with the person's first name when all the rest of my images have last name first - easier to sort family groups.

so i am looking for a way to add a prefix to all the photos in the folder with a last name and space or last name and _.

everything else in the name has to remain the same. i don't see a way to do that. thoughts?
"We spend our days, each one of us, in looking for the secret of life. Well, the secret of life is in art."

— Oscar Wilde

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: renaming possibility
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 08:40:04 PM »
i have a folder of family photos that i mistakenly named each file with the person's first name when all the rest of my images have last name first - easier to sort family groups.

so i am looking for a way to add a prefix to all the photos in the folder with a last name and space or last name and _.

everything else in the name has to remain the same. i don't see a way to do that. thoughts?

Use the Rename Photos command on the File menu.

For the renaming string use:

prefix_{filenamebase}

...where 'prefix' is the prefix you want to use.

That should do it.  Photo Mechanic has dozens of variables like {filenamebase} that can be used to rename your photos.

-Kirk

Offline redshoesgirl

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 01:30:43 PM »

Use the Rename Photos command on the File menu.

For the renaming string use:

prefix_{filenamebase}

...where 'prefix' is the prefix you want to use.

That should do it.  Photo Mechanic has dozens of variables like {filenamebase} that can be used to rename your photos.

-Kirk

that didn't exactly work.

i have a folder with several different file names - usually the person in the photo. i want to add a prefix of "roylance_" in front of each file name so nothing changes other than adding the prefix. that way all those folks will end up in the right place when  put into a folder that is arranged alphabetically.

i am not seeing a prefix added to the current file name. it wants to insert the new prefix AFTER the first 3 letters of the current name, which doesn't solve the problem.

i have attached a screen shot of what the dialogue box looks like. i must be missing something.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"We spend our days, each one of us, in looking for the secret of life. Well, the secret of life is in art."

— Oscar Wilde

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 02:24:25 PM »

i have a folder with several different file names - usually the person in the photo. i want to add a prefix of "roylance_" in front of each file name so nothing changes other than adding the prefix. that way all those folks will end up in the right place when  put into a folder that is arranged alphabetically.

i am not seeing a prefix added to the current file name. it wants to insert the new prefix AFTER the first 3 letters of the current name, which doesn't solve the problem.

i have attached a screen shot of what the dialogue box looks like. i must be missing something.

If you want "roylance_" in front of all of your selected images your would enter exactly this as your renaming string:

roylance_{filenamebase}

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline redshoesgirl

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 03:45:09 PM »
FABULOUS! thanks so much...

If you want "roylance_" in front of all of your selected images your would enter exactly this as your renaming string:

roylance_{filenamebase}

HTH,

-Kirk

— Oscar Wilde