Author Topic: Issue with date when ingesting  (Read 4846 times)

Offline Grumply

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Issue with date when ingesting
« on: June 28, 2015, 02:12:48 PM »
I have run into a problem with the date attached to my images when ingesting.

This is problem arises when I modify a previously created XMP template  to create the XMP template for the current job.
The date in the IPTC section of he EXIF (date created and Digital Creation Date) are incorrect. The are the date from the original  XMP file.

I have found that if I uncheck  the date in the Event and  Location section of the Stationary Pad prior to ingesting it solves the problem. 

How do I solve this issue. How do I PERMANENTLY uncheck the date option in the Event and location section . Leaving it up to me to manually uncheck the box is no solution. I forget when under pressure and as happened over the past weekend it creates major issues for my client.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Issue with date when ingesting
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 11:50:37 PM »
That sounds like a bug to me.  What build of PM are you running and what OS do you run PM on?

-Kirk

Offline Grumply

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 02:45:36 PM »
Hi Kirk

I am working on a PC using Windows 7 Pro. The build number is 16438 (e61be25)

I noticed this issue after the last update. I assumed it was something I had done but the thought did cross my mind that it could be a bug.

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 01:49:26 PM »
The solution is to load your XMP template into the IPTC Stationery Pad, then uncheck the date field, then save the template and distribute as needed.  If you save the XMP template from the IPTC Info dialog (NOT the Stationery Pad) and then load this XMP template into the IPTC Stationery Pad, then the Date field will be checked to apply.  It has to do with the fact that the IPTC Stationery Pad saves out the array of "apply flags" but the IPTC Info does not.  Without these specific apply flags, any field that exists in XMP (non-blank) will have it's apply flag checked when loading into the IPTC Stationery Pad, and since the date field is always written, it will always have the apply flag checked UNLESS you save the XMP template from the IPTC Stationery Pad and ensure the Date field is NOT checked.  Additionally, when saving the XMP template from the Stationery Pad, you can have it always apply the capture time (from Exif), or today's date, etc to the XMP DateCreated field, regardless of any XMP DateCreated field present.  You cannot do this if the XMP template is saved from the IPTC Info dialog.

We may try to add some kind of fix to NOT check the Date apply box when loading an XMP template (with a date) into the Stationery Pad and its "apply style" is set to something other than "Date" (e.g. Capture Time, Modification Time, Today).

Hope that helps...

--dennis

Offline Grumply

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 10:30:35 PM »
Hi Dennis

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately some of it is a bit beyond me. Can I please summarize what I understand from your information, and can you please advise if this how I should tackle creating XMP templates in the future. This method would then overcome the date problems I am currently having.

1) In Photo Mechanic, got to the image menu and open the IPTC Stationery Pad (Cntrl + I)
2) Make sure the date check box is unchecked in the event and location section.
3) Load in the XMP file I wish to modify.  Make sure the date check box is unchecked in the event and location section.
4) Make the changes that need to be made.
5) Save to a new name.
6) Before ingesting images, load the appropriate XMP file that was previously created (above).

David

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 11:06:45 AM »
1) In Photo Mechanic, got to the image menu and open the IPTC Stationery Pad (Cntrl + I)
2) Make sure the date check box is unchecked in the event and location section.
3) Load in the XMP file I wish to modify.  Make sure the date check box is unchecked in the event and location section.
4) Make the changes that need to be made.
5) Save to a new name.
6) Before ingesting images, load the appropriate XMP file that was previously created (above).

Hi David,

You can skip step 2.  After you load the XMP file you want to use as a template (step 3), then you can make sure the date (apply) check box is unchecked.  The important thing is to save this template from the Stationery Pad and NOT from the IPTC Info dialog.

On step 5, I assume you want to then transfer this XMP template to another computer, correct?  Otherwise there is not really any need to save the XMP template out - the IPTC Stationery Pad should be saved in your PM preferences.  If you are testing this on the same computer, you don't need to save (step 5) and you don't need to load in step 6.  When doing ingest, if you are using the Global IPTC Stationery Pad then it should already be configured.  If you are transferring to another computer for Ingest, then step 6 is all that is needed (load the XMP template saved from the "master" computer then ingest).

HTH!

Regards,

--dennis

Offline Grumply

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 03:38:50 PM »
Thank You Dennis

I now know in order overcome the issues I was having, I must ensure the date (apply) check box is unchecked when I save from the Stationery Pad (accessed by Cntl I).

I save  my data to the cloud. This is so I can access the info from either my desktop at home, or my laptop when I need to file from the field.

The type work I am doing involves covering anywhere between 2 and 4 games a day, generally at different locations. At this time of the year, the sports involved are mainly Rugby, Rugby League and Football (soccer).

These jobs are normally for 2 different agencies. Each agency has different requirements as far as captioning etc and this is the reason I create and save XMP templates for each game on the the day before. I also check the data in my code replacement files with the team sheets that are published the day before the games.