Author Topic: PM does not render well graduations at 100% zoom  (Read 3242 times)

Offline fotobarone

• View Profile
PM does not render well graduations at 100% zoom
« on: June 30, 2015, 06:52:57 AM »
Hello, i'm running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16438 (e61be25) on an iMac (Retina 5K, 27") and i notice that the quality of photos zoomed at 100%  appears poor, especially with rough transitions in graduated tones areas, like in a blue sky photographed with a polarizer. while when i see the same photo on Photoshop CC or LR CC, at the same 100% zoom ratio, all is ok.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Carlo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM does not render well graduations at 100% zoom
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 08:56:12 AM »
Carlo,

Hello, i'm running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16438 (e61be25) on an iMac (Retina 5K, 27") and i notice that the quality of photos zoomed at 100%  appears poor, especially with rough transitions in graduated tones areas, like in a blue sky photographed with a polarizer. while when i see the same photo on Photoshop CC or LR CC, at the same 100% zoom ratio, all is ok.

What file types are you working with?  If they're RAW, then what you're seeing is the embedded preview shown at 100%.  Depending on your camera, the embedded JPEG can be quite good or fair, but nothing will compare to an actual RAW rendering like you're going to get in Photshop or LR.

-Kirk

Tony Support

Re: PM does not render well graduations at 100% zoom
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 09:25:46 AM »

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Carlo

Hello Carlo,

Just like Kirk stated, Photo Mechanic will be showing you the embedded preview for speed purposes. If you would like to see the RAW file rendered, and if your camera RAW file is readable by Photo Mechanic you can press the letter "Q" while in the preview window.

You will see the title bar change the resolution from the embedded preview and the RAW file.

Photo Mechanic can be configured to always render the RAW file from the preview preferences but in the long run the hit in speed may not be worth it.

Let us know if you need anything else.

--
Tony Novelo
Technical Support
Camera Bits, Inc.
503-547-2888
camerabits.com