Author Topic: Moving Settings to a New Laptop  (Read 2215 times)

Offline rbaskin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Moving Settings to a New Laptop
« on: January 07, 2017, 10:27:37 AM »
I'm replacing a 4 year old laptop with a power problem and setting up a fresh install of Photo Mechanic 5.0.

Old machine was Windows 10 Home , upgraded from Windows 8.1.  New machine is Windows 10 Home

I'd like to use the settings, preferences, keywords, etc. from my old computer but never exported them and now can't start that computer to run PM  and do it now.

The hard disk from the old computer is fine and I can access all the files using it as an external drive.  Is there any place that PM stored that info so that I can get at it set PM up as I had it?

I had been using PM 4.6 on my ancient Windows XP machine and that is still accessible.  Are the files similar enough to use that in some way?

Thanks for any help.

Ralph

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Moving Settings to a New Laptop
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 02:07:32 PM »
Hi Ralph,

There shouldn't be any issues if you manually copy your Photo Mechanic 5 preferences from one machine to another. On the Windows operating system Photo Mechanic's preferences are located in the following directory:

C:\Users\<account name>\AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic\

There are many differences between the preferences in PM 4.6 and PM 5. I don't recommend that you transfer your preference settings pre PM 4.6.9 into PM 5 as it may cause problems.

-Jerry

Offline rbaskin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Settings to a New Laptop
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 03:36:56 PM »
Thanks Jerry!