Author Topic: Photo Mechanic running slow  (Read 5218 times)

Offline Rich Kane

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic running slow
« on: September 13, 2015, 06:01:12 PM »
hello..

I am running a mac 3.4 intel core i7, 16gb memory, OS X, ver 10.7.5

Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16438

Every time i delete a file, i get the beach ball. it also gets slow every time i open the program when i change back and forth from different screens. The program gets very slow and takes a couple seconds to get going again. 

any ideas to whats going on?

thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic running slow
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 07:31:50 PM »
hello..

I am running a mac 3.4 intel core i7, 16gb memory, OS X, ver 10.7.5

Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16438

Every time i delete a file, i get the beach ball. it also gets slow every time i open the program when i change back and forth from different screens. The program gets very slow and takes a couple seconds to get going again. 

any ideas to whats going on?

Where are your files located?  On a fast local drive?  Or on a network drive?

What different screens are you referring to?

-Kirk

Offline Rich Kane

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 09:30:10 PM »
Hey Kirk,

The files are on the local computer drive. Its a solid state drive. As for the different screens, its when I go from Photoshop CC back to the photo mechanic lightbox (main screen).  I also get the beach ball spinning as soon as I click on the Photo Mechanic screen from any other app open, (firefox, etc.) It spins for about 5-7 seconds.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 10:36:15 PM »
The files are on the local computer drive. Its a solid state drive. As for the different screens, its when I go from Photoshop CC back to the photo mechanic lightbox (main screen).  I also get the beach ball spinning as soon as I click on the Photo Mechanic screen from any other app open, (firefox, etc.) It spins for about 5-7 seconds.

Once the spinning beach ball goes away, and you don't switch out of Photo Mechanic, does PM's speed continue to suffer?

How many items are in the folder(s) you're browsing?

-Kirk

Offline Rich Kane

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 06:21:28 AM »
Kirk,

It works great browsing but once i work on a pic then go back to photo mechanic it slows down again, with the beach ball. In the folder there is about 1000 pics.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 09:56:33 AM »
Rich,

It works great browsing but once i work on a pic then go back to photo mechanic it slows down again, with the beach ball. In the folder there is about 1000 pics.

OK.  There are two potential problems that come to mind:

1) If you don't have enough RAM to have the applications you're switching between in memory at the same time then virtual memory paging will occur which imposes a tremendous speed penalty.
2) The rescan of the folder(s) you're browsing are taking a long time to complete.

#1 can be verified by running the Activity Monitor and looking at the Memory section.  Unfortunately the display of the Memory section changes somewhat between each release of Mac OS X.
#2 can be alleviated somewhat by the method outlined in this post:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=9810.msg48220#msg48220

-Kirk