Author Topic: Filtering Images by Star RAting  (Read 6414 times)

Offline floko

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Florian Kopp - Social Photography
Filtering Images by Star RAting
« on: September 16, 2015, 10:05:36 AM »
Hallo,

I am running Photo Mechanic version Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16438 (e61be25) and I run Mac OS X 10.10.5 on my Intel-based Mac.

As professional I am working with huge amounts of pigs and need a perfect workflow to select / edit the photos in short time. Until recently, I used PM only for preselection (sorting out and deleting 75% of the pictures) using tags. The fine selection I did with Adobe Bridge. Reason: In my opinion better and more keyboard shortcuts for the work with star ratings. As Bridge has plenty of other desadvantages (esp. preview quality) and as PM seems to be a really good program, I want to switch my complete workflow to PM.

I work a lot with star-ratings, using keyboard shortcuts - and almost never the mouse. No I desperately look for a shortcut to show only pictures with a specific rating (e.g. 3 stars only) OR with e.g. "3 or more" stars. "CMD+OPT+1 thru 5" does not solve the problem as it only highlights the pictures but still displays the others. Using F2 after selection is neither a good way - too many clicks and when returning from preview to contact sheet only one pic remains marked and displayed. Instead of all pics with the actual star rating. In Bridge what I want works with the shortcut "CMD+OPT+1 thru 5".

A collegue (unsing windows) mentioned CMD+SHIFT+1 thru 5. this does not work on my MacBook.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance for answers.

Greetings,
Florian

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Filtering Images by Star RAting
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 12:20:42 PM »
Florian,

I am running Photo Mechanic version Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16438 (e61be25) and I run Mac OS X 10.10.5 on my Intel-based Mac.

As professional I am working with huge amounts of pigs and need a perfect workflow to select / edit the photos in short time. Until recently, I used PM only for preselection (sorting out and deleting 75% of the pictures) using tags. The fine selection I did with Adobe Bridge. Reason: In my opinion better and more keyboard shortcuts for the work with star ratings. As Bridge has plenty of other desadvantages (esp. preview quality) and as PM seems to be a really good program, I want to switch my complete workflow to PM.

I work a lot with star-ratings, using keyboard shortcuts - and almost never the mouse. No I desperately look for a shortcut to show only pictures with a specific rating (e.g. 3 stars only) OR with e.g. "3 or more" stars. "CMD+OPT+1 thru 5" does not solve the problem as it only highlights the pictures but still displays the others. Using F2 after selection is neither a good way - too many clicks and when returning from preview to contact sheet only one pic remains marked and displayed. Instead of all pics with the actual star rating. In Bridge what I want works with the shortcut "CMD+OPT+1 thru 5".

A collegue (unsing windows) mentioned CMD+SHIFT+1 thru 5. this does not work on my MacBook.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance for answers.

Down at the bottom right of the Contact Sheet window are two widgets.  One is for Ratings and one is for Color Classes.  You can filter the images with these widgets.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Star_Rating_Widget

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline floko

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 01:53:02 PM »
Florian,

Down at the bottom right of the Contact Sheet window are two widgets.  One is for Ratings and one is for Color Classes.  You can filter the images with these widgets.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Star_Rating_Widget

HTH,

-Kirk

Thank you Kirk, I know the widget and how it works. My question is, whether there exists a way of doing the same thing with the keyboard instead of the mouse. Is there a shortcut?

Greetings,
Florian

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 02:14:37 PM »
Florian,

Thank you Kirk, I know the widget and how it works. My question is, whether there exists a way of doing the same thing with the keyboard instead of the mouse. Is there a shortcut?

No, there is no shortcut for the filtering.

-Kirk

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 03:25:03 PM »
However, you could combine two keyboard shortcuts to get this pretty quickly. Example  Cmd-Opt-3 will SELECT all 3 star images, and then F2 will filter to show only Selected images. I hope this could help you.

Edit: I see where you have already deemed this to be not a solution for you.  Apologies... it is very quick for me however.

-Mick

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 03:27:10 PM by MickO »
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 03:37:59 PM »
One other thing I thought of is to Sort By Rating so that those images are always at the top for you to find them.

You could also TAG (Cmd+) the images of a certain Star Rating with only the keyboard (no clicks) and then show Tagged images with F3, so that selecting one does not change your filter.  That would free you from the keyboard as well.

Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline floko

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 04:36:39 PM »
Hi MickO,

thanks for trying to find/suggest solutions. I see that a change of the app has to be followed by a change of the workflow. Your Idea of working with star rating and tagging simultaniesly seems quite good. I will check this out in practice and give you a feedback.

Greetings,
Florian