Author Topic: Showing plain-old-tiffs as the RAW sibling of a JPG+RAW pair  (Read 3002 times)

Offline DaveTheC

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Showing plain-old-tiffs as the RAW sibling of a JPG+RAW pair
« on: October 31, 2015, 03:55:20 PM »
I am running Photo Mechanic version 5, build 16765 on Windows 7x64.

I use VueScan to scan images from a flatbed scanner (ScanMaker X6EL) and create a raw tiff file which is the actual data from the scanner without white balance etc., which I call file.rvs.tif (rvs=raw vuescan).  It also outputs a JPG copy, I call it file.jpg, that I edit and correct and crop. As far as I can tell from the help and the forums, if they have the same base filename, they should be treated as a RAW+JPG pair and treated as a single image in the contact sheet.

This is not what happens. They continue to display as two separate images. I do have the checkbox checked in prefs, and the menu shows combined RAW+JPEG is checked.

Images shot RAW+JPG in my Nikon D5100 work great. When I scan to DNG format, the two images ARE treated as a single entity. (But DNG gives me heartburn and does not display in Windows preview)

Does PM look at the metadata of the candidate images to determine whether to treat the correctly named pair as a RAW+JPG pair? I know one of the RAW formats listed uses a TIF extension, not .RAW, so does it require specific EXIF data? Can I apply a tag to fool the matcher into pairing the .tif and .jpg files?

If that doesn't work, is there a way to specify ".rvs.tif" as a "RAW" image so it pairs with the similar named files?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Showing plain-old-tiffs as the RAW sibling of a JPG+RAW pair
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 10:30:53 PM »
I am running Photo Mechanic version 5, build 16765 on Windows 7x64.

I use VueScan to scan images from a flatbed scanner (ScanMaker X6EL) and create a raw tiff file which is the actual data from the scanner without white balance etc., which I call file.rvs.tif (rvs=raw vuescan).  It also outputs a JPG copy, I call it file.jpg, that I edit and correct and crop. As far as I can tell from the help and the forums, if they have the same base filename, they should be treated as a RAW+JPG pair and treated as a single image in the contact sheet.

This is not what happens. They continue to display as two separate images. I do have the checkbox checked in prefs, and the menu shows combined RAW+JPEG is checked.

Images shot RAW+JPG in my Nikon D5100 work great. When I scan to DNG format, the two images ARE treated as a single entity. (But DNG gives me heartburn and does not display in Windows preview)

Does PM look at the metadata of the candidate images to determine whether to treat the correctly named pair as a RAW+JPG pair? I know one of the RAW formats listed uses a TIF extension, not .RAW, so does it require specific EXIF data? Can I apply a tag to fool the matcher into pairing the .tif and .jpg files?

If that doesn't work, is there a way to specify ".rvs.tif" as a "RAW" image so it pairs with the similar named files?

The RAW+JPEG pairing only works for RAW image types produced by cameras.  Your TIFF file is not a RAW file produced by a camera.  There is no way to force PM to consider a file not produced by a camera to be treated as if it had been produced by a camera.

-Kirk