Author Topic: Reading IPTC from images  (Read 4106 times)

Offline uwehmartin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Reading IPTC from images
« on: December 27, 2015, 04:35:54 AM »
Hi, I am new to PM, running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16960 on an iMac OS X 10.11.2.
I have RAW and DNG images previously edited with Adobe Bridge. The rating, stars and color labels are shown in PM when I open a new contact sheet and browse to the image location.
But I could't figure out how I can see already existing Meta Data from the files, like keywords, and locations, etc. in PM.
They are shown in Bridge and Photoshop. But they do not show either in the IPTC Stationary Pad or in the Keyword Panel.
How can I see and expand my already existing Meta Data in PM?

If I search for a keyword though (Imperial Valley) PM shows me all the files as a selection that have this keyword. So it recognizes they are there, but I can't see them.

Thank you for your help. Best,
Uwe
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 04:38:25 AM by uwehmartin »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Reading IPTC from images
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 08:11:32 PM »
Uwe,

Hi, I am new to PM, running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16960 on an iMac OS X 10.11.2.
I have RAW and DNG images previously edited with Adobe Bridge. The rating, stars and color labels are shown in PM when I open a new contact sheet and browse to the image location.
But I could't figure out how I can see already existing Meta Data from the files, like keywords, and locations, etc. in PM.
They are shown in Bridge and Photoshop. But they do not show either in the IPTC Stationary Pad or in the Keyword Panel.
How can I see and expand my already existing Meta Data in PM?

When you have your mouse cursor over a thumbnail, notice the four buttons that appear.  One of them is an 'i' which, when clicked, brings up the IPTC Info dialog that shows you the contents of all of the fields that PM can edit.  You can add/update the metadata in the IPTC Info dialog.

The IPTC Stationery Pad (which you discovered earlier) is for applying similar metadata to selected items in bulk and does not show the contents of a particular item.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline uwehmartin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 03:31:45 AM »
Hi Kirk, thank you for the help.
Is it possible to add a new keyword to a batch of pictures that are already open in a contact sheet and have individual keywords in bulk action?
Cheers,
Uwe

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 06:33:29 PM »
Uwe,

Is it possible to add a new keyword to a batch of pictures that are already open in a contact sheet and have individual keywords in bulk action?

Yes, you would use the IPTC Stationery Pad for that.  Make sure you set the '+' checkbox (to append instead of replace) keywords.  You can also use the Keywords panel on the Image menu to apply keywords in bulk.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Keywords_Panel

-Kirk

Offline uwehmartin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 05:17:14 AM »
Thank you.