Author Topic: Photomechanic cache settings and difference of versions?  (Read 5172 times)

Offline teigas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photomechanic cache settings and difference of versions?
« on: July 04, 2016, 03:14:36 AM »
I have some questions about photomechanic.

1. What is the main difference Between versions 4.6 and the newest verions 5 if I only is using it to fast select photos tagg them and move the tagged once to a new folder?

2. I use a Nikon D800 and i like to shoot jpg+raw, i really like that the program show bot files as one, and that i can delete both at the same time. I see when i zoom in or if i browse really fast, it needs some loading time.. So i was wondering if there was somthing i could adjust to make it even faster (i not that its big files). I see the setttings are set to disk cache size 512 and resevere at least 100 mb on the disk cache volume. The disk is an ssd disk. My memory cache size is 256mb.. My computer has 16 gb of ram. So it there somthing to gain her with tweeking theese?

3. The color manager, is it one when its a light in the colors? And off when there are not colors?

Hope for some feedback, thanks beforehand.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photomechanic cache settings and difference of versions?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 12:21:12 PM »
I have some questions about photomechanic.

1. What is the main difference Between versions 4.6 and the newest verions 5 if I only is using it to fast select photos tagg them and move the tagged once to a new folder?

PM 5 has a number of new features not present in PM 4.6.x including faster image loading speed, customizable IPTC dialogs, more GPS functionality, etc.

2. I use a Nikon D800 and i like to shoot jpg+raw, i really like that the program show bot files as one, and that i can delete both at the same time. I see when i zoom in or if i browse really fast, it needs some loading time.. So i was wondering if there was somthing i could adjust to make it even faster (i not that its big files). I see the setttings are set to disk cache size 512 and resevere at least 100 mb on the disk cache volume. The disk is an ssd disk. My memory cache size is 256mb.. My computer has 16 gb of ram. So it there somthing to gain her with tweeking theese?

I'd set your Memory cache to 512 MB, and your Disk cache to 2048 MB.  But the speed of browsing is also limited by how fast your CPU is.  Faster CPUs can decode JPEG data more quickly and thus decrease loading times.

3. The color manager, is it one when its a light in the colors? And off when there are not colors?

When the Color Management toolbar icon is colorful (saturated) then Color Management is on and when it is dull and gray then Color Management is off.

-Kirk