Author Topic: Job Name - global?  (Read 4360 times)

Offline DaveRe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Job Name - global?
« on: August 10, 2016, 09:07:41 AM »

Hi, there!

I'm trying to nose through the docs, etc, to determine if the Job Name field is intended to be global, or if it's intended to be local to each ingest? Not having much luck finding that info at the moment.

Empirically, it appears to behave as a global, possibly.

Thanks!

Dave

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Job Name - global?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 09:13:28 AM »
Dave,

I'm trying to nose through the docs, etc, to determine if the Job Name field is intended to be global, or if it's intended to be local to each ingest? Not having much luck finding that info at the moment.

Empirically, it appears to behave as a global, possibly.

It is indeed global.

-Kirk

Offline DaveRe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 10:04:05 AM »

Thanks, Kirk.

We're using it as a way to control which directory images are ingested to (without having to change the folder name string, which includes several other variables). Will have to see if there's another way to get it done. The workaround works, but is slower (just ingest everything that uses the same Job Name at the same time, and keep ingests for different Job Names separate).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 01:38:02 PM »

Thanks, Kirk.

We're using it as a way to control which directory images are ingested to (without having to change the folder name string, which includes several other variables). Will have to see if there's another way to get it done. The workaround works, but is slower (just ingest everything that uses the same Job Name at the same time, and keep ingests for different Job Names separate).

I would suggest using variables and Code Replacement for creating your folder names.  If there is some data (camera model/make/filename prefix/etc.) that is unique per "job" then Code Replacement would be an ideal solution.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Code_Replacement

-Kirk

Offline DaveRe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 02:34:03 PM »

We're making extensive use of code replacement, actually. Unfortunately, in our use case, there's not a unique camera/serial/etc per "job". I have a crew of a dozen photographers running around a large event for a week, and they pull different assignments throughout each day, based on who's available, etc. 3-4 may be shooting the same event at one point, and then go off and shoot various other things throughout the day and week.

I *am* using code replacement to do simple things, like filling IPTC data for the photographer correctly, and putting each photographer's name in the filename of their images... and more complex things, like backing up each photographer's images to a separate hard drive based on their camera serial numbers.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 03:49:44 PM »
Dave,

We're making extensive use of code replacement, actually. Unfortunately, in our use case, there's not a unique camera/serial/etc per "job". I have a crew of a dozen photographers running around a large event for a week, and they pull different assignments throughout each day, based on who's available, etc. 3-4 may be shooting the same event at one point, and then go off and shoot various other things throughout the day and week.

I *am* using code replacement to do simple things, like filling IPTC data for the photographer correctly, and putting each photographer's name in the filename of their images... and more complex things, like backing up each photographer's images to a separate hard drive based on their camera serial numbers.

OK, so if the "job" wasn't global, how do you suppose you'd manage it?

-Kirk

Offline DaveRe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 04:35:41 PM »

Each time you do an ingest, you adjust Job Name off of the Ingest dialog to fit what you need that variable to do. So, in our case, it would essentially be the subject of the card that's being ingested. That then gets used to create a directory to hold the images so that they're grouped by subject. The folder name string looks something like: {day0} {dow3}/{job}/CARDS/{seq}. Then an editor goes through each folder under CARDS, and does selects. The images are then moved to a different folder under the {job} folder for SELECTS.

I have a Google doc of the different Job Name codes we use through the week - we just cut and paste them out of that document into the Job Name field. It's a pretty quick task.

That makes it pretty easy to tell what images have been looked at and had a select done against them, and which ones haven't (we have four photo editors coordinating to plow through the input from the 12 photographers).

The workaround I have - just respecting Job Name as global, and only ingesting for one subject at a time - totally works, it's just not optimal. We could also just type over that part of the Folder Name field - it's a little more error prone (because you're just changing part of a string, rather than the whole field). Another way would be to store the whole Folder Name field in my Google Doc, and do a wholesale cut/paste replace, and that would keep it "safer" to do the Folder Name replacement.

If you have a better idea, I'm all ears :-)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 05:39:17 PM »
Dave,

Each time you do an ingest, you adjust Job Name off of the Ingest dialog to fit what you need that variable to do. So, in our case, it would essentially be the subject of the card that's being ingested. That then gets used to create a directory to hold the images so that they're grouped by subject. The folder name string looks something like: {day0} {dow3}/{job}/CARDS/{seq}. Then an editor goes through each folder under CARDS, and does selects. The images are then moved to a different folder under the {job} folder for SELECTS.

I have a Google doc of the different Job Name codes we use through the week - we just cut and paste them out of that document into the Job Name field. It's a pretty quick task.

Since you're bringing up the Ingest dialog and then going into the Job dialog, why not eliminate that step and simply paste the 'job' into the folder name string right where you use {job}?  Or are you using {job} all over the place?

-Kirk

Offline DaveRe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 04:11:12 PM »

Sorry, Kirk - dropped the thread here accidentally...

No, we're not using {job} all over the place. It just seems a little safer to change the text in the Job Name field rather than editing the folder name each time (because of the other contents of the folder name field).

Either way, just editing the folder name string would obviously work - just have to be more careful with it.