Author Topic: XMP and IPTC metadata in RW2 files  (Read 5021 times)

Offline Goughy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
XMP and IPTC metadata in RW2 files
« on: December 02, 2016, 04:23:03 PM »
Hi,

I have ingested raw (.RW2) files and .JPGs from a Panasonic ZS50 camera and have set the preferences to add XMP and IPTC metadata directly to the raw files. I have attached a screenshot.

The .JPGs include the metadata I entered in the Stationery Pad. However, the ingested .RW2 files do not include the metadata.

I have tried the same ingest process with an Olympus Stylus 1 camera (.ORF raw files) and in this case everything works as I would expect. The metadata is in both the ingested .ORF and .JPG files.

Does this not work with .RW2 files? I was under the impression (from Wikipedia) that both .RW2 and .ORF are TIFF-based raw files.

I am new to PM and this might be user error. Thanks for any guidance.

Richard
Eschew obfuscation

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: XMP and IPTC metadata in RW2 files
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 04:35:14 PM »
Embedding metadata on Panasonic RW2 files is not supported in PM.  We used to allow it but we turned off embedding because Photoshop CS6, CaptureOne, and Apple's ImageIO library all have problems with relocated TIFF tables on RW2 files (it's what has to happen to embed XMP into TIFF-based RAW files.)

An XMP sidecar file should have been produced instead.  What are you using to view the metadata that you applied with the IPTC Stationery Pad?

-Kirk

Offline Goughy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 04:59:16 PM »
Embedding metadata on Panasonic RW2 files is not supported in PM.  We used to allow it but we turned off embedding because Photoshop CS6, CaptureOne, and Apple's ImageIO library all have problems with relocated TIFF tables on RW2 files (it's what has to happen to embed XMP into TIFF-based RAW files.)

An XMP sidecar file should have been produced instead.  What are you using to view the metadata that you applied with the IPTC Stationery Pad?

-Kirk

Thanks for the explanation.

Yes, the XMP sidecars were generated correctly.

I used ExifTool to look at the metadata in the ingested files.

It's not a big deal. I have to save the files in a non-raw format after editing and I can embed the metadata at that stage.

Richard
Eschew obfuscation

Offline Goughy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 11:24:11 AM »
I apologize for not searching the forum before posting this question (and for replying to my own post!). I would have seen it was removed in build 13217.

In this thread from nearly 4 years ago http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=8119 it was suggested that turning on metadata embedding for .RW2 files could be offered as an option. If this is still being considered, I'd like to add my vote for the change.

Thanks again,

Richard
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 11:25:51 AM by Goughy »
Eschew obfuscation