Author Topic: Workflow with Mac Photos app?  (Read 2526 times)

Offline DeinLakai

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Workflow with Mac Photos app?
« on: January 01, 2018, 03:10:25 PM »
Dear Camera Bits team,

I love the idea and execution of your Photo Mechanic software (I am currently in 30 day trial). I realized, however, that it does not integrate with the Mac Photo app on OSX (which is my standard image archive (10k+ photos)).

Is there any good workflow that you can advise that allows effective use of Photo Mechanic for both:
a. pre-processing (e.g. from flashcard and keyword tagging)
b. post-processing (e.g. adding new keywords to photos already in Mac Photos App ... not one by one, but mass mode)

Thanks for advise.
Thomas.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Workflow with Mac Photos app?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 05:15:50 PM »
Thomas,

I love the idea and execution of your Photo Mechanic software (I am currently in 30 day trial). I realized, however, that it does not integrate with the Mac Photo app on OSX (which is my standard image archive (10k+ photos)).

Is there any good workflow that you can advise that allows effective use of Photo Mechanic for both:
a. pre-processing (e.g. from flashcard and keyword tagging)
b. post-processing (e.g. adding new keywords to photos already in Mac Photos App ... not one by one, but mass mode)

As long as Photos hasn't taken your images and put them into a 'vault' of sorts, such that they're not readily accessible via the file system then you should be able to point PM at the folders containing your images.  From there you can use the various keywording tools within PM.  The IPTC Stationery Pad is used to bulk apply all kinds of metadata (not just keywords--it does them as well), or if you're only interested in keywording then the Keywords panel and the Structured Keywords panel will bulk apply keywords to selected photos.

HTH,

-Kirk