Author Topic: Mouseless quick-search  (Read 3471 times)

Offline thawley

• Newcomer
  • Are we there yet?
    • View Profile
Mouseless quick-search
« on: April 27, 2010, 01:32:45 PM »
Kirk

Is there a key/key combo that will place a cursor in the Quick Search field so that I can begin typing the search term imediately upon opening a new contact sheet tab?  I use PM for grading student photo assignments – quickest workflow for me is to open each student in a new tab, then close the tabs as I grade.  Opening each student's contact sheet goes quickly w/ the naming convention they use.  But placing the cursor in the QS field seems an unnecessary annoyance.

Any help?

PM 4.6.3 w/ OS X 10.6.3 on an Intel-based Mac

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Mouseless quick-search
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 02:22:20 PM »
Is there a key/key combo that will place a cursor in the Quick Search field so that I can begin typing the search term imediately upon opening a new contact sheet tab?  I use PM for grading student photo assignments – quickest workflow for me is to open each student in a new tab, then close the tabs as I grade.  Opening each student's contact sheet goes quickly w/ the naming convention they use.  But placing the cursor in the QS field seems an unnecessary annoyance.

There are no keyboard shortcuts that will place the cursor into the Quick Search box.

-Kirk

Offline thawley

• Newcomer
  • Are we there yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 02:39:19 PM »
How about placing the cursor there by default when no image is selected?  If that interferes with toggle keys (L & Z), then maybe use the tab key to place & remove cursor???

Pretty please?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 03:18:51 PM »
How about placing the cursor there by default when no image is selected?  If that interferes with toggle keys (L & Z), then maybe use the tab key to place & remove cursor???

Pretty please?

No.  If I did that then users couldn't immediately use other keys to control the contact sheet without having to click into the contact sheet.

I know you're annoyed by having to click inside the Quick Search item but I'm not going to make a change like that and upset many, many more users.

Perhaps you could suggest a keyboard shortcut that isn't already in use?

-Kirk

BTW, these sorts of things are better handled in the Feature Requests section of the forums.  With your permission, I'll move this thread there.

Offline thawley

• Newcomer
  • Are we there yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 03:37:22 PM »
No.  If I did that then users couldn't immediately use other keys to control the contact sheet without having to click into the contact sheet.
besides Z & L are there other keys used in that mode without the command key?  To use the numbers you have to have an image selected.  Same for tagging.  Does tab do anything in that mode?  Perhaps tab could toggle between cursor-in-QS and key controls.  Maybe have an indicator like the loop mode to show where you are...

Or add cursor fuctionality in prefernces. I would gladly give up Z & L (are there others without command?) in exchange for mouseless seach. 

Another option would be to provide a preferences setting for command–F that allowed it to use Quick Search instead of the Find panel.  Or assign Option-F or Control-F to Quick Search...

Just thinking out loud.

BTW, these sorts of things are better handled in the Feature Requests section of the forums.  With your permission, I'll move this thread there.
By all means, please do.

Offline thawley

• Newcomer
  • Are we there yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 10:41:10 AM »
Just did a forum search for "quick search" AND shortcut and found this thread. My own feature request from ten years ago. I guess I'm the only one with a need for this. Damn.

Is there a way to make my own (Mac) service or shortcut without a "quick search" menu command?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 01:10:43 PM »
Keyboard Maestro may be able to add that functionality (it's not free however.)

https://www.keyboardmaestro.com/main/

It is my understanding that it can assign keystrokes to various UI features (not sure about mouse clicks though).

-Kirk