Author Topic: PM 4.5 beta II, MAC OS 10.4.8, Powerbook G4  (Read 25767 times)

Offline oryk

• View Profile
PM 4.5 beta II, MAC OS 10.4.8, Powerbook G4
« on: March 27, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
Hello everybody,

transmitting/uploading files freezes the rest of the program.

-Oryk
-Oryk

( MAC, OS 10.13.6 )

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM 4.5 beta II, MAC OS 10.4.8, Powerbook G4
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 05:34:45 PM »
Oryk,

Can you post a screen shot of your FTP As settings?  (Not your connection settings)
What kind of images are you uploading?

Is this the latest beta?

BTW, we didn't change anything related to FTP uploads in 4.5.  PhotoShelter uploads now support 5-star ratings.  But that was the only change.

-Kirk

Offline oryk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 12:40:54 AM »
Oryk,

Can you post a screen shot of your FTP As settings?  (Not your connection settings)
What kind of images are you uploading?

Is this the latest beta?

BTW, we didn't change anything related to FTP uploads in 4.5.  PhotoShelter uploads now support 5-star ratings.  But that was the only change.

-Kirk

Kirk,

I sent you the screenshot.
This is latest beta.
I didn't change anything related using PM 4.4.3.

-Oryk

[attachment deleted by admin]
-Oryk

( MAC, OS 10.13.6 )

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 01:54:29 PM »
Hi Oryk,

I tried to recreate your freeze problem with the latest PM beta on my G4 PowerBook but everything seems to be working correctly. My PB is running OS X.4.7. I'll upgrade it to X.4.9 shortly and try this again. Can you email me a screen shot of your ftp dialog settings?  How many photos are selected? Are the photos raw files, jpegs or a combination? Thanks for your help.

--Bob

Offline oryk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 04:27:40 PM »
Hi Oryk,

I tried to recreate your freeze problem with the latest PM beta on my G4 PowerBook but everything seems to be working correctly. My PB is running OS X.4.7. I'll upgrade it to X.4.9 shortly and try this again. Can you email me a screen shot of your ftp dialog settings?  How many photos are selected? Are the photos raw files, jpegs or a combination? Thanks for your help.

--Bob

Bob

I sent a screen shot of my ftp dialog settings with my last post. See above.
About 10 jpegs are selected.

Now I found: after ftp is complete, PM runs again.

There is a similar problem. Deleting about 500 of 700 files PM freezes. Just an empty Contact sheet  + <Moving files to trash...>   appears.

-Oryk
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 05:29:10 PM by oryk »
-Oryk

( MAC, OS 10.13.6 )

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 06:54:48 PM »
There is a similar problem. Deleting about 500 of 700 files PM freezes. Just an empty Contact sheet  + <Moving files to trash...>   appears.

I have noticed this problem once or twice as well, but in my case deleting only 7 of about 25 photos.  I found that PM froze, but did not appear as "Not Responding" in the Force Quit dialog.  I tried hiding PM via the Dock icon, and one of two things would happen: either PM would hide normally and when reactivated the contact sheet updated itself correctly, or PM would disappear as Hide is selected, but then instantly unhide and update correctly.  Selecting another app and then switching back to PM did not have the same effect.  It is not consistent and I can't see a pattern - sometimes it is fine.

Also on the subject of deleting, the Option-Command-Backspace to delete selected photos does not bypass the confirmation dialog like it used to, and is no different to Command-Backspace.

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 11:53:42 AM »
Sam, I've been having this same delete problem for a while and Kirk is looking into it. For me, deleting 5 or fewer photos works fine and deleting 6 or more causes the exact same problem you have described.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 12:23:04 PM »
Oryk,

More info needed.  I saw later that you said that when the upload completes that the program becomes responsive again.

During the time that PM is non-responsive, what happens when you click on the contact sheet?  Does the computer beep or do anything else?

Can you move windows around?  Can you click on the menubar and get menus to drop down?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 01:12:27 PM »
Sam, I've been having this same delete problem for a while and Kirk is looking into it. For me, deleting 5 or fewer photos works fine and deleting 6 or more causes the exact same problem you have described.

I've had another look at this and it seems that three photos or fewer works fine for me, four or more and it freezes.  The photos are being successfully moved to the Trash, as if I open the Trash while PM is frozen the photos are there.  Also PM is still 'listening' to keyboard instructions - if I hit Command-W while PM is frozen, then hide it via the Dock, when I click back to unhide it there is no longer a contact sheet open.  Similarly, if I click in the frozen contact sheet and press Command-E, as soon as I hide PM, Photoshop then opens the next photo after the deleted batch.

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 01:20:27 PM »
I should also add, the the whole experience of the 4.5 Beta seems much slower on my PowerBook than 4.4.  If I click on a file to select it, it can be a second or more before the choice is made, and as I move the mouse cursor around the contact sheet the appearance of the rotate, preview and Info buttons lag behind the cursor dreadfully.  Generating the thumbnails is also much slower, the appearance of dropdowns, everything.  Previous PM Betas I've found myself using for real assignments as they've been clearly much better than the outgoing version, but this Beta for me is very sluggish and I have to force myself to use it for testing.  I have been tesing plenty with it, but for actually looking through pictures, 4.4.3.3 offers a much better experience.

Offline oryk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 02:24:59 PM »
I should also add, the the whole experience of the 4.5 Beta seems much slower on my PowerBook than 4.4.  If I click on a file to select it, it can be a second or more before the choice is made, and as I move the mouse cursor around the contact sheet the appearance of the rotate, preview and Info buttons lag behind the cursor dreadfully.  Generating the thumbnails is also much slower, the appearance of dropdowns, everything.  Previous PM Betas I've found myself using for real assignments as they've been clearly much better than the outgoing version, but this Beta for me is very sluggish and I have to force myself to use it for testing.  I have been tesing plenty with it, but for actually looking through pictures, 4.4.3.3 offers a much better experience.

I quite agree.

-Oryk
-Oryk

( MAC, OS 10.13.6 )

Offline oryk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 02:36:33 PM »
Oryk,

More info needed.  I saw later that you said that when the upload completes that the program becomes responsive again.

During the time that PM is non-responsive, what happens when you click on the contact sheet?  Does the computer beep or do anything else?

Can you move windows around?  Can you click on the menubar and get menus to drop down?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Kirk,

I can't do anything. PM freez. There is no beep. I can't move windows around.
After <FTP as> or <deleting files> PM will execute all keystrokes I have done while <ftp as> or <deleting files>.

By the way: I have the same problems with my Core 2 duo iMAC.

-Oryk

« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 02:42:57 PM by oryk »
-Oryk

( MAC, OS 10.13.6 )

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 02:57:12 PM »

You, Oryk, and Kevin are all experiencing the slowdowns which I have never seen on any of my systems.  Kevin described to me the same things: selections are slow, clicking on hover buttons has a lag, etc.  Exactly the same things.  Do any of you notice that an unusual amount of CPU time is being used by PM (once all thumbnails are generated and PM would be otherwise idle)?

The 4.5 beta for me on my systems is either just as fast as 4.4.3.3 or is up to three times faster than 4.4.3.3 is.

Would any of you happen to have Apple's development tools installed on your systems?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 03:20:30 PM »
Do any of you notice that an unusual amount of CPU time is being used by PM (once all thumbnails are generated and PM would be otherwise idle)

I've just come back to my machine having not touched it since posting my last message a couple of hours ago.  The last thing I'd done was delete some photos, leave PM hanging and finish my above post.  I came back now, refreshed this page and read your post, so as I open Acitivity Monitor now it shows PM using 68% CPU.  I haven't hidden and reactivated PM so it is exactly as it would be when the hang begins.

[Goes off to reactivate PM]

Once PM is awakened again, it settles down and hovers around 4% CPU time.  It's is a 1.67GHz PB G4, 1.5GB RAM.

I'm afraid I don't have the Dev Tools installed, although if I can find the discs I could install if no one else has them either.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 05:06:52 PM »
Do any of you notice that an unusual amount of CPU time is being used by PM (once all thumbnails are generated and PM would be otherwise idle)

I've just come back to my machine having not touched it since posting my last message a couple of hours ago.  The last thing I'd done was delete some photos, leave PM hanging and finish my above post.  I came back now, refreshed this page and read your post, so as I open Acitivity Monitor now it shows PM using 68% CPU.  I haven't hidden and reactivated PM so it is exactly as it would be when the hang begins.

[Goes off to reactivate PM]

Once PM is awakened again, it settles down and hovers around 4% CPU time.  It's is a 1.67GHz PB G4, 1.5GB RAM.

I'm afraid I don't have the Dev Tools installed, although if I can find the discs I could install if no one else has them either.

Could I get each of you that is having this problem send me a System Profile from your computer?

Just go to the Apple menu in the upper left corner of your screen and choose "About this Mac".  Then when the about box comes up, press the "More Info..." button.  After a moment, the System Profiler will come up.  Then go to the File menu and choose Save As...  Use the System Profiler 4.0 (XML) format and save your profile.

Contact me privately for an email address where you can send your profiles.

If there are other computers that you're having problems with the 4.5 beta, then please send profiles of those computers too, please.

Thanks,

-Kirk