Author Topic: Linear DNG files from DXO crash metadata update during scan  (Read 9002 times)

Offline myotis

• View Profile
Linear DNG files from DXO crash metadata update during scan
« on: April 30, 2019, 10:24:33 PM »
I started this in post http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=12264.0  but the conclusion is lost in body of the post.

By elimination, and scanning folder by folder until getting a failure, I narrowed the problem down to these specific DNG files and associated XMP files.  Telling PM6+ to ignore DNG files during the scan has finally allowed me to build a catalogue.

The same files have catalogued with no issue in LR, C1, Photo Supreme, Neofinder and Media Pro so presumably a simple fix, and if Camera bits don't have access to a DXO linear DNG, I can  supply one. It's too big to upload here.

Out of interest, I round  trip from Capture One to DXO to use the DXO prime noise reduction, and then get a linear DNG back from DXO to carry on editing with a close to raw file, in Capture One.

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Linear DNG files from DXO crash metadata update during scan
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 10:45:40 PM »
Graham,

If you could provide a sample image, that would be most appreciated.  If you have some place in the cloud you can put it and share a link that will work great.  If you don't have such a service, we can provide access to our FTP server where you can upload your sample file(s).  Contact me privately by clicking on my name to the left of this message and send me a personal message.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 12:38:52 AM »
I think you sent the wrong link; that gets me to a dropbox folder with lots of pdfs, but not a dng/xmp…
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 12:41:08 AM »
I think you sent the wrong link; that gets me to a dropbox folder with lots of pdfs, but not a dng/xmp…

Yep, as it does me :-)   I'm not sure why. I've now deleted my post while I try to sort it out.

Sorry,

Graham

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 12:55:12 AM »
If you could provide a sample image, that would be most appreciated. 

I have hopefully, added a DNG and associated XMP to a dropbox folder on this link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q1psvk5u9cljtwy/AABDlo9zPHSJBBgjJg0kfNcDa?dl=0

Cheers,

Graham
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 01:20:15 AM by myotis »

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 02:25:26 AM »
Got 'm! I analysed the dng and like other files that hang the scan to catalog process, this dng has metadata issues.

Code: [Select]
$ exiftool -a -validate -warning gms_20160514__0058_DxO.dng
Validate                        : 4 Warnings (all minor)
Warning                         : [minor] Possibly incorrect maker notes offsets (fix by 26004?)
Warning                         : [minor] Undefined value for MakerNotes:InternalNDFilter
Warning                         : [minor] Undefined value for MakerNotes:ClearRetouchValue
Warning                         : [minor] Suspicious MakerNotes offset for DataDump

These are all minor (according to exiftool), but they have garbled the metadata (of the makernotes). For instance, the serial number is now garbage bytes instead of a string (probably it should have been “(F98) 2014:04:22 no. 0019”, which will be displayed by PM as F98201404220019).
I had exiftool correct the makernote offsets, and indeed the serial number now is read correctly (and so is a lot of other data from the makernotes).

Not sure what caused the metadata problem, but it is not unlikely that it is actually caused by DXO's software. Heck, even Adobe screws this up sometimes.
(but then again, maintaining proprietary makernotes metadata is not a straightforward thing).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 07:44:13 AM »
Got 'm! I analysed the dng and like other files that hang the scan to catalog process, this dng has metadata issues.

Interesting, I wonder if all my DXO DNGs are the same.

Before finally deciding it was the DNGs causing the problem, I scanned three folders that contained at least one DNG, all three failed.

Told PM6+ to ignore the DNGs, and all three folders then scanned without issue.

I assume the other programs that seemed to work, have some way of ignoring minor exif errors.   I know that Capture One had issues at one time (several versions ago)  reading DNGs, with some working and some not.

Cheers,

Graham

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 09:13:19 AM »
Just like to say that Beta 3 seems to have fixed this issue.

Cheers,
Graham