Author Topic: PM6 bringing Jpegs AND Raws onto Hard Drive  (Read 5068 times)

Offline fdickenson@me.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM6 bringing Jpegs AND Raws onto Hard Drive
« on: November 23, 2019, 11:03:26 AM »
I am running Catalina and PM6. I've noticed since I have upgraded that right clicking and "editing selected photos in LR Classic" brings both jpegs and raws onto my destination hard drive...I only want the RAWS to come over. I've tried it both ways clicking "combine jpegs and raws" and not combining, and it still brings over both versions. Only the Raws show up in LR, but I would like to be able to right click in the contact sheet and edit only raws. Any help would be appreciated!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM6 bringing Jpegs AND Raws onto Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 05:55:29 PM »
I am running Catalina and PM6. I've noticed since I have upgraded that right clicking and "editing selected photos in LR Classic" brings both jpegs and raws onto my destination hard drive...I only want the RAWS to come over. I've tried it both ways clicking "combine jpegs and raws" and not combining, and it still brings over both versions. Only the Raws show up in LR, but I would like to be able to right click in the contact sheet and edit only raws. Any help would be appreciated!

Which build of PM 6 are you using?

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 08:10:53 PM »
 build 3954 (158b808)

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 09:09:35 AM »
In need of some more information here: It sounds like you are selecting images located on a camera card and then importing them into Lightroom, is that correct (as opposed to ingesting to your hard drive first and then imported local files into LR)?

At what point are RAW and JPEG images being copied to your destination drive? For me, it is immediately after I click "Import" in Lightroom, so Lightroom is actually making them copies.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 11:37:05 AM »
Yes, I am selecting images located on a camera card with PM and right clicking, then "edit selected images with" LR. In LR, I am converting to DNG. This is when the images transfer from my SD card to my hard drive. I am not ingesting images first.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 12:32:15 PM »
Yes, I am selecting images located on a camera card with PM and right clicking, then "edit selected images with" LR. In LR, I am converting to DNG. This is when the images transfer from my SD card to my hard drive. I am not ingesting images first.

Right, so the Lightroom is taking care of the task of copying the files from the card, there is not much Photo Mechanic can do about this: the same thing happens if you select images from a Finder window without Photo Mechanic involved: drag them to the Lightroom icon on your dock and import those files. Lightroom copies the RAW and apparently if it sees a matching JPEG, it copies that too. It then creates a DNG From the RAW And then deletes the RAW That it initially copied.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 05:29:52 PM »
Ok, thank you...I need to figure it out as a LR import issue then..Thanks for the quick response!

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 09:58:54 PM »
Ok, thank you...I need to figure it out as a LR import issue then..Thanks for the quick response!

No problem, definitely seems like a problem in Lightroom to me. It sounds like this is a new behavior in Lightroom?

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 04:54:06 AM »
Yes, as of LR Classic 9.0