Author Topic: Create structured keywords from selected photos  (Read 6219 times)

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
    • Keith & Vlasta Ross-Jones
Create structured keywords from selected photos
« on: May 14, 2020, 01:20:29 AM »
I don't know if this functionality already exists as I cannot find anything in the manual.

I would like to be able read the hierarchical keywords from selected photos and add them to my current Structured Keywords if they do not already exist.

If the Keywords field is not in the hierarchical format then they will be ignored.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Create structured keywords from selected photos
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 09:34:52 AM »
Keith,

I would like to be able read the hierarchical keywords from selected photos and add them to my current Structured Keywords if they do not already exist.

If the Keywords field is not in the hierarchical format then they will be ignored.

No, there is no such feature.

-Kirk

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 05:34:29 PM »
Thanks Kirk,

would you consider implementing something like this?  Not a pressing requirement but a nice to have  :)

Thanks
Keith

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 06:03:52 PM »
Keith,

would you consider implementing something like this?  Not a pressing requirement but a nice to have  :)

We have a feature in our task tracking system labeled "Add ability for user to generate master keyword list from a Catalog's keyword list", but it wouldn't work from a selection of images.  It would operate from the Keywords sub-tree in the Browse tree.

I don't know when we'll add it, but it's planned.

-Kirk

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 08:21:47 PM »
Keith,

We have a feature in our task tracking system labeled "Add ability for user to generate master keyword list from a Catalog's keyword list", but it wouldn't work from a selection of images.  It would operate from the Keywords sub-tree in the Browse tree.

-Kirk

Not quite what I am looking for.  I have many photos that were keyworded in another product and was looking for a simple way of adding those photo's keywords to PMP.

I guess I could just create a text file of keywords from the other product and add them to PMP list, so not really an issue but the feature I described could be useful if you already have keyworded photos and you just want to add those keywords to PMP with a simple right-click menu option.

Thanks
Keith

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 10:21:32 PM »
Keith,

Not quite what I am looking for.  I have many photos that were keyworded in another product and was looking for a simple way of adding those photo's keywords to PMP.

I guess I could just create a text file of keywords from the other product and add them to PMP list, so not really an issue but the feature I described could be useful if you already have keyworded photos and you just want to add those keywords to PMP with a simple right-click menu option.

Once you have added your photos to your catalog, the Keywords tree will have them all listed and ready to export.  So I'm not sure how that wouldn't work for you.

-Kirk

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 07:58:57 PM »

Once you have added your photos to your catalog, the Keywords tree will have them all listed and ready to export.  So I'm not sure how that wouldn't work for you.

-Kirk

OK, I see how this would work.  You add your photos to the catalog and the keywords get updated so you can then export them into your own Vocabulary file.  I was thinking of updating the vocabulary file directly.

This will work for me so we can close this as a non-issue.

Thanks for clarifying.

Keith.