Author Topic: Sorting by RAW/RAW+JPG/JPG help  (Read 1787 times)

Offline Andre Ringuette

• Newcomer
  • NHL Photographer
    • View Profile
    • FREESTYLE PHOTOGRAPHY
Sorting by RAW/RAW+JPG/JPG help
« on: June 16, 2021, 12:23:47 PM »
Hello,

I work in contact sheets that have RAW (only) files, along with RAW+JPG, and JPG (only) files.

I'd like to be able to separate the (RAW), (RAW+JPG), (JPG). I've tried Custom Sorting several variables including {type}, {rawplusjpeg}, {filesize} in several combinations. The RAW will separate, but the RAW+JPG files will always be mixed with the JPG files and have to be manually selected.

In Preferences I've also toggled "When viewing RAW+JPG mode use the metadata from" both options.

Any help that could be provided would be appreciated.

PM6 5820 OSX 10.13.6
Official Photographer of the Ottawa Senators.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Sorting by RAW/RAW+JPG/JPG help
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 02:03:57 PM »
Andre,

I work in contact sheets that have RAW (only) files, along with RAW+JPG, and JPG (only) files.

I'd like to be able to separate the (RAW), (RAW+JPG), (JPG). I've tried Custom Sorting several variables including {type}, {rawplusjpeg}, {filesize} in several combinations. The RAW will separate, but the RAW+JPG files will always be mixed with the JPG files and have to be manually selected.

In Preferences I've also toggled "When viewing RAW+JPG mode use the metadata from" both options.

Any help that could be provided would be appreciated.

I don't have a solution for you.  I had thought that using {filename:-4} would work well, but because of how a RAW+JPEG is evaluated, only the JPEG is used for the variable expansion and the expansion of {filename:-4} for a RAW+JPEG pair will be the same as a lone JPEG.  (both would be ".JPG" or "JPEG" depending on your filename extension lengths).

Note: {rawplusjpeg} is no longer a supported variable and will expand to nothing.

To make this work, we'd have to evaluate both items in the pair for variable expansion such that a RAW+JPEG evaluating {filename:-4} would be ".JPG.CR2".  Then they would group up properly.

-Kirk