Author Topic: Sorting by RAW/RAW+JPG/JPG help  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Andre Ringuette

• Newcomer
  • NHL Photographer
    • View Profile
    • FREESTYLE PHOTOGRAPHY
Sorting by RAW/RAW+JPG/JPG help
« on: June 16, 2021, 12:23:47 PM »
Hello,

I work in contact sheets that have RAW (only) files, along with RAW+JPG, and JPG (only) files.

I'd like to be able to separate the (RAW), (RAW+JPG), (JPG). I've tried Custom Sorting several variables including {type}, {rawplusjpeg}, {filesize} in several combinations. The RAW will separate, but the RAW+JPG files will always be mixed with the JPG files and have to be manually selected.

In Preferences I've also toggled "When viewing RAW+JPG mode use the metadata from" both options.

Any help that could be provided would be appreciated.

PM6 5820 OSX 10.13.6
Official Photographer of the Ottawa Senators.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Sorting by RAW/RAW+JPG/JPG help
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 02:03:57 PM »
Andre,

I work in contact sheets that have RAW (only) files, along with RAW+JPG, and JPG (only) files.

I'd like to be able to separate the (RAW), (RAW+JPG), (JPG). I've tried Custom Sorting several variables including {type}, {rawplusjpeg}, {filesize} in several combinations. The RAW will separate, but the RAW+JPG files will always be mixed with the JPG files and have to be manually selected.

In Preferences I've also toggled "When viewing RAW+JPG mode use the metadata from" both options.

Any help that could be provided would be appreciated.

I don't have a solution for you.  I had thought that using {filename:-4} would work well, but because of how a RAW+JPEG is evaluated, only the JPEG is used for the variable expansion and the expansion of {filename:-4} for a RAW+JPEG pair will be the same as a lone JPEG.  (both would be ".JPG" or "JPEG" depending on your filename extension lengths).

Note: {rawplusjpeg} is no longer a supported variable and will expand to nothing.

To make this work, we'd have to evaluate both items in the pair for variable expansion such that a RAW+JPEG evaluating {filename:-4} would be ".JPG.CR2".  Then they would group up properly.

-Kirk

Offline jeffw

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 08:29:14 AM »
Has there been any updates on this in the past 3yr ?
I’m having the same issue only NEF+JPG vs DNG+JPG

Offline Max Lemesh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 10:25:12 AM »
Must be coming in PM version 7 )

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 05:07:36 PM »
Has there been any updates on this in the past 3yr ?
I’m having the same issue only NEF+JPG vs DNG+JPG
It's not something we have gotten to since this thread was posted. In most situations that I've come across where it would be helpful to treat a RAW+JPEG as separately from a standalone RAW or JPEG, I've been able to provide workarounds, but we can look into ways that we might be able to add the functionality that you are looking for. Thanks for bumping the thread.