Author Topic: difficulty with color codes  (Read 3581 times)

Offline bevbird

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
difficulty with color codes
« on: May 25, 2009, 11:36:45 AM »
I am using the new beta version; editing done with Capture NX2. I usually color code my photo previews to mark where I am in the processing workflow. I am finding that I am unable to change the color coding for some of my photos ... neither hitting the appropriate keyboard number nor manually setting with mouse works. This seems to be a sporadic problem ... I am able to do it with some files, not with others from the same folder; able to do it with some files I've edited, unable with others. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: difficulty with color codes
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 11:44:59 AM »
I am using the new beta version; editing done with Capture NX2. I usually color code my photo previews to mark where I am in the processing workflow. I am finding that I am unable to change the color coding for some of my photos ... neither hitting the appropriate keyboard number nor manually setting with mouse works. This seems to be a sporadic problem ... I am able to do it with some files, not with others from the same folder; able to do it with some files I've edited, unable with others. Any help would be appreciated.

What OS are you running the beta on?
Have you purchased Photo Mechanic or are you using a trial version?

-Kirk

Offline bevbird

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 11:54:21 AM »
OS is Vista Ultimate 32 bits. I have purchased PM, and am currently using the latest Beta.

Offline karlmz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 01:01:49 PM »
Could be the same problem I have, see topic http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=4037.msg18163#msg18163.

Solution: Avoid having PM and NX2 work simultaneously on a folder.

Regards,
Karl

Offline bevbird

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 01:34:01 PM »
Thanks Karl , but this also happens when I am not working on a folder with NX2 ... and, to confound things further, does not happen at times when I am working on a folder (or file) with NX2.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 01:48:10 PM »
Hmm, I've been working with NX2 and PM on the same folder all the time. You just need to take care not to want to save changes in both programs to the same file (obviously).

I remember having some weird behaviour going on with older versions of NX (can't recall the exact version) where I would get errors in PM regarding its inability to update IPTC info. Repeating this two or three times got round this problem. With later versions of PM/NX I can't recall this problem reoccurring, but then I've also switched from Windows XP to Mac so my memory as to when or what "solved" the problem is a bit foggy...

Have you updated NX and your OS to the latest version already?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline bevbird

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 01:52:06 PM »
Well ... I just tried something ... shut down NX2. Once I did that, had no problems color coding my previously recalcitrant files.

So ... that is a solution of sorts. In previous versions however (including the last Beta before this one), this was not a problem, and it seems a cumbersome fix.

I do have the latest version of NX. Since this only happens some of the time (and not to all files), it is confusing.

- Beverly

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 02:04:15 PM »
Hmm, yeah. IIRC closing NX also worked for me previously. Seems to me NX keeps some active link to a file or something  ???

Anyway, have you also tried to update the same file twice (or even thrice) in a row? Perhaps even via the IPTC (I) panel? This also worked for me.

Cheers
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl