Author Topic: Automatic Ingest for Multiple Card Readers  (Read 11070 times)

Offline darinf

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Automatic Ingest for Multiple Card Readers
« on: June 13, 2008, 09:33:44 AM »
Is there a way for PM to automatically start ingesting a card when it's inserted into a card reader? (I am on Windows)

I have 4 card readers and I want PM to automatically start the ingest when a card is inserted.

Then, if one of the cards finishes, I want to be able to remove that card and insert another card and have PM start ingesting the newly inserted card even if the other cards are still downloading.

I know I can:

1) Insert card
2) hit ctrl-G
3) Select the drive letter(s)
4) Start ingest

But that's a lot of steps every time I insert a card. Plus I want an assistant to be able to download cards without having to think about it which drive letters go with which card readers.

Can I setup a "watch" drive or folder so when PM sees files on that drive, it starts an ingest?

Thanks,
-Darin Fong
http://blog.darinfong.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Automatic Ingest for Multiple Card Readers
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 09:41:21 AM »
Darin,

Is there a way for PM to automatically start ingesting a card when it's inserted into a card reader? (I am on Windows)

I have 4 card readers and I want PM to automatically start the ingest when a card is inserted.

Then, if one of the cards finishes, I want to be able to remove that card and insert another card and have PM start ingesting the newly inserted card even if the other cards are still downloading.

I know I can:

1) Insert card
2) hit ctrl-G
3) Select the drive letter(s)
4) Start ingest

But that's a lot of steps every time I insert a card. Plus I want an assistant to be able to download cards without having to think about it which drive letters go with which card readers.

Can I setup a "watch" drive or folder so when PM sees files on that drive, it starts an ingest?

No.  But if AutoPlay is working correctly on your system (for many AutoPlay never works properly no matter how much they try to get it configured) then Ingest should come forward with the disk already selected, and all you would then have to do is click the Ingest button.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline darinf

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 09:58:28 AM »
Thank for the quick response, Kirk!

Fortunately my "Autoplay" is working so PM will launch and open ingest with the drive selected.

However, if PM is already open and I insert a card and select PM from Autoplay, the Ingest dialog does not open.

I am assuming if PM is already ingesting cards, it also will not auto-open the Ingest dialog when I use Autoplay for a newly inserted card.

Please clarify how it is supposed to work when PM is already open.

Thanks,

-Darin Fong

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 11:32:46 AM »

Fortunately my "Autoplay" is working so PM will launch and open ingest with the drive selected.

However, if PM is already open and I insert a card and select PM from Autoplay, the Ingest dialog does not open.

Hi Darin,

I am able to get the Ingest dialog to open with AutoPlay on both my Windows XP and Vista machines, with Photo Mechanic already open.

Please make sure Photo Mechanic's preferences are set to Show Ingest dialog on mount of camera disk, this is on the upper right of the General tab.

Regards,
Jerry

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline darinf

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 12:29:56 PM »
Thanks Jerry,

I had all those settings set. I just double checked.

It's weird. My autoplay dialog opens when I insert the card. I select PM and hit OK.

Then in PM, the folder tree updates to show the card, but nothing happens after that. The only way to get the ingest dialog is to do it manually.

But when PM is not running, the autoplay method will work as advertised.

Any ideas? I am running windows XP SP2.

Thanks,
-Darin Fong

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 01:15:21 PM »
Darin,

I had all those settings set. I just double checked.

It's weird. My autoplay dialog opens when I insert the card. I select PM and hit OK.

Then in PM, the folder tree updates to show the card, but nothing happens after that. The only way to get the ingest dialog is to do it manually.

But when PM is not running, the autoplay method will work as advertised.

Any ideas? I am running windows XP SP2.

Do you have multiple versions of Photo Mechanic installed?  When you select PM from the AutoPlay dialog, does PM come forward?

In the AutoPlay dialog, can you set PM as the default for that media type?

-Kirk

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 03:44:51 PM »
Hi,

with my Mac I have to be in Browser Mode for the Ingest-Dialog to appear,in Preview Mode it won't work.Maybe it helps.

regards
Johann

Offline darinf

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 04:07:18 PM »
It ends up I do have PM 4.4 installed too. I uninstalled it.

But, after the uninstall, the PM Autoplay option was removed!

I can add a handler for PM in autoplay using TweakUI, but I need to know what command line arguments I need to specify to tell PM which drive letter to start the ingest.

Can you tell me what command line parameters there are for PM?

Thanks,
-Darin Fong

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 04:43:32 PM »
Darin,

It ends up I do have PM 4.4 installed too. I uninstalled it.

But, after the uninstall, the PM Autoplay option was removed!

I can add a handler for PM in autoplay using TweakUI, but I need to know what command line arguments I need to specify to tell PM which drive letter to start the ingest.

Can you tell me what command line parameters there are for PM?

Just reinstall 4.5.3.1 and the AutoPlay handler will be reinstalled.

-Kirk