Author Topic: Mouse Scroll Capability  (Read 14284 times)

Offline CLOSEUP

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Mouse Scroll Capability
« on: March 06, 2009, 10:02:01 PM »
Hello Camera Bits:

I use the mouse wheel a lot to move through lots of pictures and will often move back and forth between the Navigator, Favorites and Contact Sheet; is it possible to program the mouse wheel to work depending on the position of the pointer within the window? This works currently but you have to click in the window to allow the mouse wheel to work. I have used other software where the mouse wheel scroll function worked in the window where the mouse pointer was located.

Thanks,

Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Mouse Scroll Capability
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 11:23:09 PM »
Mark,

I use the mouse wheel a lot to move through lots of pictures and will often move back and forth between the Navigator, Favorites and Contact Sheet; is it possible to program the mouse wheel to work depending on the position of the pointer within the window? This works currently but you have to click in the window to allow the mouse wheel to work. I have used other software where the mouse wheel scroll function worked in the window where the mouse pointer was located.

What OS are you running?

-Kirk

Offline CLOSEUP

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 11:26:58 AM »
Sorry for the lack of information,

Windows XP SP3
Photo Mechanic 4.6

Thanks,

Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 01:18:38 PM »
Mark,

Sorry for the lack of information,

Windows XP SP3
Photo Mechanic 4.6

I use KatMouse on my Windows XP system to make all windows that have scrollbars scroll without having to give them focus first.  It's free/donation ware and you can get it from:

http://ehiti.de/katmouse/

It's one of the first things I install when I build a new system.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline CLOSEUP

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 08:38:09 AM »
Kirk:

Thank you. I will add this software to my standard install.

I did note last week that iTunes software changes focus without additional software.

Thanks again, have a great week!

Mark

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 04:55:07 AM »
Kirk:

I did note last week that iTunes software changes focus without additional software.

Mark

It must be an Apple stuff since on OSX all Applications work this way....except for PM which has to be the active program to be able to scrool the contact sheet. So my part of the question would be is there a solution for this on OSX 10.5.6?
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 07:05:49 AM »
Kirk:

Mark

It must be an Apple stuff since on OSX all Applications work this way....except for PM which has to be the active program to be able to scrool the contact sheet. So my part of the question would be is there a solution for this on OSX 10.5.6?

This thread was about Windows, not Mac OS X.  Even on Mac OS X an application has to be active to receive mouse or keyboard events, even iTunes on Mac OS X needs to be active to scroll its play lists with the scroll wheel.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 11:04:01 AM »
Kirk:

Mark

This thread was about Windows, not Mac OS X.  Even on Mac OS X an application has to be active to receive mouse or keyboard events, even iTunes on Mac OS X needs to be active to scroll its play lists with the scroll wheel.

-Kirk

I know this thread is about windows but I argue the second half of your statement on OSX I can scroll any window with the mouse only hovering above a window out of focus. Even if an e-mail or browser (or any other) window is beind other windows if the mouse cursor is above it, the scroll works both the two finger scroll of my MacBook and the USB mouse without any special drivers or programs.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 11:49:55 AM »
Kirk:

Mark

-Kirk

I know this thread is about windows but I argue the second half of your statement on OSX I can scroll any window with the mouse only hovering above a window out of focus. Even if an e-mail or browser (or any other) window is beind other windows if the mouse cursor is above it, the scroll works both the two finger scroll of my MacBook and the USB mouse without any special drivers or programs.

My Mac OS X system does not behave the way yours does.  I am running 10.4.11, what version are you running?

-Kirk

Offline jimb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 06:02:01 PM »
I can confirm what szurkebarat says. On my Mac Pro running OS X 10.5.6 I can scroll any window, even one that is only partially visible. I can't remember it being any different, even on earlier versions of OS X. Except for PM's contact sheet. It must have focus and be active to scroll using the mouse wheel. And it's only the contact sheet...the navigator and favorites panel will scroll like all other Mac apps (except when the modal preview window is open).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 06:12:13 PM by jimb »

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 02:10:08 AM »
Kirk:

Mark

-Kirk

My Mac OS X system does not behave the way yours does.  I am running 10.4.11, what version are you running?

-Kirk

Like I mentioned in an earlier post you quoted I use OSX 10.5.6. It may be possible that Tiger didn't allow this feature but in Leopard it is clearly working from its appearance. I confirm the navigator window does allow scrolling without PM being in focus. In some cases it would be really helpful if PM contact sheets could behave the same way too.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 02:42:31 PM »
I am certain that there are some Windows programs I use that respond to the mouse wheel if the pointer is over their window and they don't have the focus.  Off the top of my head, I can't remember what application(s) it is, but it is odd enough that I am usually surprised when I encounter it.  If I remember correctly, in some cases, the window with focus and the window I am hovering over will both respond to wheel movement.

Danny

Offline Tekrat

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 09:09:29 PM »
Kirk,

Great tip on Katmouse, I love it!

Brett
"Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they're yours."
Richard Bach, "ILLUSIONS"

Offline mayhopkins19

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 11:41:04 PM »
for now just takes care of Mouse scroll wheel capability in Flash
MouseControl is Singleton class which lets you define movieclips and functions that should be invoked if user uses mouse scroll wheel over defined movie clip
it helps very much in situation when you need to define scrolling functionality in different classed of your Flash site or application

* command addScroll(id, mc, function)
      example:
      MouseControl.getInstance().addScroll(”area1″, area1, Delegate.create(_root, moveFirst));

* removeScroll(id)
      example:
      MouseControl.getInstance().removeScroll(”area1″);

example SWF : http://hagane.us/as/mousescroll/mousescroll.swf
source ZIP : http://hagane.us/as/mousescroll/MouseScroll.zip