Author Topic: Firewire Readers  (Read 11594 times)

Offline Eric

• View Profile
Firewire Readers
« on: July 17, 2006, 05:36:36 AM »
Kirk,

This is most likely more of a windows issue.... but. There are times, mostly when I have several things going on at once, that is takes up to 5 minutes for PM to recognize a new card in my firewire reader. Sometimes I have to pull the reader completely wait a minute and then plug it back in, then the card. Is there a way or scaning the firewire ports more often??

the machine is runnng Windows XP, P4 3.2ghz.

Eric

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Firewire Readers
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 06:30:09 AM »
Eric,

This is most likely more of a windows issue.... but. There are times, mostly when I have several things going on at once, that is takes up to 5 minutes for PM to recognize a new card in my firewire reader. Sometimes I have to pull the reader completely wait a minute and then plug it back in, then the card. Is there a way or scaning the firewire ports more often??

the machine is runnng Windows XP, P4 3.2ghz.

You can always type Ctrl-G to bring up the Ingest dialog manually.  Then click on the Rescan button if your reader doesn't show up.

But basically if your reader isn't assigned a drive letter, then PM cannot find it.  Is this a case of the reader not being assigned a drive letter?

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 08:03:15 AM »
Kirk,

I do use the ctrl-g, and yes this is a case where it takes forever, sometimes longer, for a drive letter to come up.

Eric

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 09:00:29 AM »
Eric,

I do use the ctrl-g, and yes this is a case where it takes forever, sometimes longer, for a drive letter to come up.

Do you have any drive letters that are mapped to network drives?  If so, that can make it take a long time.  If you put a folder on the root of any volume that you never want PM to scan called "PMIngestIgnore" then PM will quickly find it and ignore the entire drive.  Try putting a PMIngestIgnore folder on each of your drives that you never want to Ingest from (you can still use them as an Ingest destination.)

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Junebug

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • pictures that tell a story
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 12:11:19 PM »
As long as we're on Firewire readers...

I just ordered three Lexar Firewire readers.

I'm under the impression that PhotoMechanic will incrementally ingest the cards to a Mac and a PC....

Am I right?

Jb.
Junebug Clark
Denton, TX
http://www.MooreClark.net

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 01:47:33 PM »
As long as we're on Firewire readers...

I just ordered three Lexar Firewire readers.

I'm under the impression that PhotoMechanic will incrementally ingest the cards to a Mac and a PC....

Am I right?

Jb.

Yes.  But it won't keep track of what was ingested on the other computer.  It will only keep track of photos ingested from a given card on a given machine.

-Kirk

Offline Junebug

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • pictures that tell a story
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 08:27:03 PM »
Thanks Kirk...

My question was not stated properly.

I have use of Mac and PC versions of PM.

I just was curious if the Lexar/PM combination would ingest on either platform.

I'm in Oshkosh, Wisconsin this week.. two of the three Lexar readers are on back order.

This trip I have my mac... sometimes a PC.

Being able to download from multiple cards will help me keep sessions straight and speed the process by not having to monitor ingesting as often.

Can't wait to receive the two other readers. I'm sufferin' from severe road burn, but loving it... Thanks to having great people and airplanes in front of my lens and PhotoMechanic as my first tool I grab for at night.

I have really enjoyed going through the latest PhotoMechanic Manual and have a full page of shortcuts I've learned from it.... and I'm not a new PM user. Things have just been fast and regular and aside from sipping on late night Jack Daniels...

All of the folks updating and supporting PhotoMechanic have kept me in the game.

Wishing you and Dennis and crew the best.

TYJb
Junebug Clark
Denton, TX
http://www.MooreClark.net

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 11:04:40 PM »
Junebug,

My question was not stated properly.

I have use of Mac and PC versions of PM.

I just was curious if the Lexar/PM combination would ingest on either platform.

I'm in Oshkosh, Wisconsin this week.. two of the three Lexar readers are on back order.

This trip I have my mac... sometimes a PC.

Being able to download from multiple cards will help me keep sessions straight and speed the process by not having to monitor ingesting as often.

The readers should work equally well on both systems as long as they both have Firewire interfaces.

There are two ways to do ingests with multiple card readers.  One will read the cards one at a time until they are all downloaded, and the other will download all cards simultaneously.  You can guess which one is faster.

To do it the fastest, plug in all three readers.  Then insert one card and get it ingesting.  Then insert the second card into the second reader and get it ingesting.  Then insert the last card in the last reader and get it ingesting.  You now have three parallel ingests happening at once and you will likely be saturating your Firewire bus, which is a good thing.  When the first card finishes, pop it out and put in another one.  You can keep them going in parallel as long as you have cards that need downloading.

The other way is to insert all three cards and wait for them to mount then from the Ingest dialog, select all three cards and then start the Ingest.  The first card will ingest, followed by the second and third cards.

Quote from: Junebug
Can't wait to receive the two other readers. I'm sufferin' from severe road burn, but loving it... Thanks to having great people and airplanes in front of my lens and PhotoMechanic as my first tool I grab for at night.

Did you see the Drew Carey World Cup shows on the Travel Channel?  He was using Photo Mechanic 4.4.x on his PowerBook G4.  I kept recordings of the shows where he used Photo Mechanic...

Quote from: Junebug
I have really enjoyed going through the latest PhotoMechanic Manual and have a full page of shortcuts I've learned from it.... and I'm not a new PM user. Things have just been fast and regular and aside from sipping on late night Jack Daniels...

All of the folks updating and supporting PhotoMechanic have kept me in the game.

Wishing you and Dennis and crew the best.

Thanks!

-Kirk