Author Topic: Mouse-free keywording/structured keywording using Autocomplete (I want SPEED...)  (Read 7456 times)

Offline thawley

• Newcomer
  • Are we there yet?
    • View Profile

I've been searching PM forums & the Controlled Vocabulary forums for since last night & most of this morning. I am sure I must be missing a number of obvious things...

GOALS:
  • to manually keyword images - one to the next - without EVER having to use the mouse/track pad
  • to use Autocomplete throughout the process using Autocomplete data from my custom CV

ISSUES:
  • When opening the structured keyword panel there is no text cursor inserted. No way to tab from one field to the next because there's no curser to tab. (Unless I insert it with the mouse.) Is there a way to have the cursor appear in the "find" or "path" fields for every new image/new panel opening?
  • Autocomplete is not working "find" or "path" fields of the structured keyword panel.
  • In the Autocomplete settings panel, I have the option of using a text file source. How can I use the text file for my CV? Where is that file located (Mac)?
  • With the IPTC edit window open, I cannot open the structured keyword panel. If I open the structured keyword panel in contact sheet view, the structured keyword panel covers the images I want to see. I also cannot use the structured keyword panel in preview mode. Is that right? How does one view images whilst using the structured keyword panel?
  • Once I have my keywords in the path/keyword field, I can enter them w/ spacebar (awkward since most other Mac software uses the return-key for "enter"). At this point most Mac-UI software would highlight the next obvious button ("apply collection to selected") or allow you to tab there direcrtly, or allow you to option or command-tab to another logical step. Like back up to the find field to start another path...

How can I tab through images quickly, rapid-fire a few letters to drill down a CV path, enter that path, repeat for another path (same image), apply the paths/keywords and tab/move to the next image to do the same thing? It seems like that's pretty well dialed into the IPTC panel. But the minute I try to integrate the tructured keyword panel I get all tripped up...

The daily-news guys must have a fast way of getting through all this efficiently. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

John Thawley – 2.66 MacBook Pro, OS 10.5.8, PM v.4.6.1, 6'4", MWM, 250lbs

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
John,

I've been searching PM forums & the Controlled Vocabulary forums for since last night & most of this morning. I am sure I must be missing a number of obvious things...

GOALS:
  • to manually keyword images - one to the next - without EVER having to use the mouse/track pad
  • to use Autocomplete throughout the process using Autocomplete data from my custom CV

ISSUES:
When opening the structured keyword panel there is no text cursor inserted. No way to tab from one field to the next because there's no curser to tab. (Unless I insert it with the mouse.) Is there a way to have the cursor appear in the "find" or "path" fields for every new image/new panel opening?

Not currently.

Quote from: thawley
Autocomplete is not working "find" or "path" fields of the structured keyword panel.

True.  They do not participate in Autocomplete currently.

In the Autocomplete settings panel, I have the option of using a text file source. How can I use the text file for my CV? Where is that file located (Mac)?

There is no option to use the words in the Structured Keywords panel/dialog for Autocomplete.  You can export a copy anytime you like by using the 'Save' button and saving to a filename of your choice.

With the IPTC edit window open, I cannot open the structured keyword panel. If I open the structured keyword panel in contact sheet view, the structured keyword panel covers the images I want to see.

You can bring up the Structured Keywords dialog (note: not the panel version that you've been describing so far) from the popup menu to the right of the Keywords field.

I also cannot use the structured keyword panel in preview mode. Is that right? How does one view images whilst using the structured keyword panel?

From the IPTC dialog in the Preview window, just like I described above.

Once I have my keywords in the path/keyword field, I can enter them w/ spacebar (awkward since most other Mac software uses the return-key for "enter"). At this point most Mac-UI software would highlight the next obvious button ("apply collection to selected") or allow you to tab there direcrtly, or allow you to option or command-tab to another logical step. Like back up to the find field to start another path...

Spacebar?  I don't follow what you're describing.

How can I tab through images quickly, rapid-fire a few letters to drill down a CV path, enter that path, repeat for another path (same image), apply the paths/keywords and tab/move to the next image to do the same thing? It seems like that's pretty well dialed into the IPTC panel. But the minute I try to integrate the tructured keyword panel I get all tripped up...

Tab through?  The TAB key doesn't change image selection in the contact sheet.  Use the mouse.

The daily-news guys must have a fast way of getting through all this efficiently. What am I missing?

They probably use the mouse to operate it if they use Structured Keywords at all.  Usually editors do all of the keywording...

-Kirk

Offline thawley

• Newcomer
  • Are we there yet?
    • View Profile
Autocomplete is not working "find" or "path" fields of the structured keyword panel.
True.  They do not participate in Autocomplete currently.
That's disappointing. Is is a possible and likely feature

In the Autocomplete settings panel, I have the option of using a text file source. How can I use the text file for my CV? Where is that file located (Mac)?
Quote from: Kirk Baker
There is no option to use the words in the Structured Keywords panel/dialog for Autocomplete.  You can export a copy anytime you like by using the 'Save' button and saving to a filename of your choice.
I tried that, but I guess because it did not work in the two fields I wanted it to I assumed it was not working at all.

With the IPTC edit window open, I cannot open the structured keyword panel. If I open the structured keyword panel in contact sheet view, the structured keyword panel covers the images I want to see.
You can bring up the Structured Keywords dialog (note: not the panel version that you've been describing so far) from the popup menu to the right of the Keywords field.
I see that now. Yet there is no quick-key for the Structured Keywords dialog there either. And, that panel must then be collapsed before I can move on to another image.

I also cannot use the structured keyword panel in preview mode. Is that right? How does one view images whilst using the structured keyword panel?
From the IPTC dialog in the Preview window, just like I described above.
I see. Just cannot continue to keep the Structured Keywords dialog open past the first image OR bring the dialog up again using keys. "That's some catch, that catch 22."

Once I have my keywords in the path/keyword field, I can enter them w/ spacebar (awkward since most other Mac software uses the return-key for "enter"). At this point most Mac-UI software would highlight the next obvious button ("apply collection to selected") or allow you to tab there direcrtly, or allow you to option or command-tab to another logical step. Like back up to the find field to start another path...
Spacebar?  I don't follow what you're describing.
Sorry, I am still talking about the large CKW panel opened using option+command+K... In that window, I can TAB from the keyword/path field to the Add Path or Add Keyword buttons on the right. Either button can be "pressed" by hitting the space-bar rather than the return-key. It's a minor nit to pick, but it seems inconsistent within PM as well as the Mac UI overall. Just pointing it out.

Tab through?  The TAB key doesn't change image selection in the contact sheet.  Use the mouse.
"Key-though" is perhaps a better description. Use a key or quick keys or arrow to move from image to image during the KW process. Like using command+] in the IPTC info panel...

[The daily-news guys] probably use the mouse to operate it if they use Structured Keywords at all.  Usually editors do all of the keywording...
Another poor example on my part. Let's say "long suffering, internless freelance photogs with more time on their hands than ever to finally start efficiently keywording their catalogs for stock."

Thawley – who proofread this post while my wife and daughter were trying to get me out the door. Sorry in advance if I've just added to the confusion...

Offline devenh

• View Profile
John,

I too share you desire to see keystroke keywording implemented better.  I think PM is fine at bulk keywording, but is terribly inefficient when it comes to applying specific keywords to individual images.  For my workflow, I would like to have the ability to assign keywords to specific key combinations (I often use a programmable game controller keypad, so these key combinations could be assigned to a single key on the controller).  See this thread for more background:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=2380.0

Deven

Offline thawley

• Newcomer
  • Are we there yet?
    • View Profile
I too share you desire to see keystroke keywording implemented better.  I think PM is fine at bulk keywording, but is terribly inefficient when it comes to applying specific keywords to individual images.  For my workflow, I would like to have the ability to assign keywords to specific key combinations (I often use a programmable game controller keypad, so these key combinations could be assigned to a single key on the controller).  See this thread for more background:
http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=2380.0

Dang, I was really hoping I was just doing it wrong...