Author Topic: IPTC encoding  (Read 8738 times)

Offline JOHNHHH

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC encoding
« on: December 13, 2009, 09:39:10 AM »
Hi
I have read a number of previous discussions about this on here but have not found the answer.
 I only noticed today that my IPTC encoding seems to have set itself to MacRomania whereas it was previously always MacRoman. i use a PC with Windows XP pro and all my images are scanned from old negatives and slides so there is no camera data input affecting the issue. My problem is that when I try to reset the IPTC encoding to either MacRoman or MS european (which seemed more relevant anyway) it just goes back to MacRomainia every time in the images on screen. I made the adjustment in Edit/Preferences and also have tried in each popup IPTC info window- but to no avail- always goes back to Romaina on reopening. Maybe it doesn't matter much anyway, but it's a bit frustrating...any ideas?
Thanks
John

Offline gvadf

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • hompage
Re: IPTC encoding
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 11:01:50 AM »
John,
I had the same problem days ago. In the end the solution was to change the "Default IPTC Encoding" in Photomechanic / ITTC/XMP.
This parameter works generally. ;D
Good Luck
Guenter
http://www.gvad.de
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 02:04:05 PM by gvadf »
Best Regards
Guenter

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 10:36:12 PM »
Apart from unicode encoded embedded IPTC there is no way for PM (or any other app) to know the used character encoding. Hence the setting for the"default" encoding. By the way, as long as you haven't used any special characters I think you'll find all encodings will render the info readable.

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline pavlinbl4

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 12:40:59 AM »
Hello.
I use MAC OS. In Preferences of the Photo Mechanic I set the "Default IPTC encoding Microsoft Cyrilic" and checkbox "Write IPTC in Unicod".
I describe pictures in Russian(using Photo Mechanic). When I send photos to some russian-speaking agency, they can't  read anything because of problem with encoding. Apparently sites are configured to use the encoding win-1251. Captions I make on the computer with the Windows OS on these sites are displayed correctly.
I tried to use special tool for the program Photo Mechanic: Tool - "Convert IPTC text encoding - Unicod to Micrisift Cyrillic". Unsuccessfully. IPTC's that have been created on computers with Windows are properly displayed on the Macintosh using that tool. But I can't do contrary: there is  now way to convert IPTC's made on Mac with unicode to IPTC's with win-1251.
How  can I solve this problem?

//My english is bad, don't be strickt)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 01:51:58 AM »
Hello.
I use MAC OS. In Preferences of the Photo Mechanic I set the "Default IPTC encoding Microsoft Cyrilic" and checkbox "Write IPTC in Unicod".
I describe pictures in Russian(using Photo Mechanic). When I send photos to some russian-speaking agency, they can't  read anything because of problem with encoding. Apparently sites are configured to use the encoding win-1251. Captions I make on the computer with the Windows OS on these sites are displayed correctly.
I tried to use special tool for the program Photo Mechanic: Tool - "Convert IPTC text encoding - Unicod to Micrisift Cyrillic". Unsuccessfully. IPTC's that have been created on computers with Windows are properly displayed on the Macintosh using that tool. But I can't do contrary: there is  now way to convert IPTC's made on Mac with unicode to IPTC's with win-1251.
How  can I solve this problem?

If you make PM write out Unicode then it will write out UTF-8.  The default encoding you're referring to is the 'Reading encoding only' when you've set PM to write Unicode.  Windows-1251 (Microsoft Latin1+Euro) won't have the Cyrillic characters you're going to need to write in your language.  Ask your agency what character encoding they use on their systems.

Or write out XMP only instead of IPTC.  XMP only uses Unicode which is capable of representing all modern languages.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline ChuaAL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 09:59:01 PM »
Hi, I would also like to ask about the IPTC encoding. I do not use XMP and I'm in a pure Windows environment. I am using Capture NX 2.2 and occasionally CS4. My PM is version 4.6.2.1 in Windows XP Pro

I am having problems with copywrite info: © symbol always changed into ? symbol after i save IPTC template/update image IPTC/close IPTC.
I tried changing to Microsoft Latin+Euro / MacRoman and with/without Unicode. Still does not help. Even in Capture NX2 it never shows © but only ? symbol.
Any solutions? i do not wish to use XMP sidecar. Thank you
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 10:01:45 PM by ChuaAL »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 07:02:23 AM »
Hi, I would also like to ask about the IPTC encoding. I do not use XMP and I'm in a pure Windows environment. I am using Capture NX 2.2 and occasionally CS4. My PM is version 4.6.2.1 in Windows XP Pro

I am having problems with copywrite info: © symbol always changed into ? symbol after i save IPTC template/update image IPTC/close IPTC.
I tried changing to Microsoft Latin+Euro / MacRoman and with/without Unicode. Still does not help. Even in Capture NX2 it never shows © but only ? symbol.
Any solutions? i do not wish to use XMP sidecar. Thank you

Capture NX2 works best with embedded XMP.  Configure Photo Mechanic to embed XMP into your TIFF-based RAW files.

-Kirk