Author Topic: Nikon VR on or off in Info Pane  (Read 5009 times)

Offline zooma

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Nikon VR on or off in Info Pane
« on: December 01, 2010, 07:18:34 AM »
I saw some earlier mentions in this forum (one in January 2010) regarding the ability to tell if VR is on or off in the info pane.  This would also be very useful to me and I could not find any resolution of the question in the forums.  In the camera world (as opposed to the PM world) there has been recent awareness and discussion of whether VR helps or hurts at higher shutter speeds.  There is enough legitimacy to that issue to make it worth shoot both ways and it would be nice to be able to see in the info pane when reviewing a lot images whether it was on or off without having to go to Nikon's Capture program.  -- Jon Taft

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Nikon VR on or off in Info Pane
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 07:45:31 AM »
I saw some earlier mentions in this forum (one in January 2010) regarding the ability to tell if VR is on or off in the info pane.  This would also be very useful to me and I could not find any resolution of the question in the forums.  In the camera world (as opposed to the PM world) there has been recent awareness and discussion of whether VR helps or hurts at higher shutter speeds.  There is enough legitimacy to that issue to make it worth shoot both ways and it would be nice to be able to see in the info pane when reviewing a lot images whether it was on or off without having to go to Nikon's Capture program.  -- Jon Taft

It's just that the information is in private Nikon maker note data which is not publicly defined.  We'd have to reverse engineer it...

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 07:50:19 AM »
I will give credit to PM for exposing a great deal of EXIF info, but there is a lot of vendor specific info that PM cannot access.  I understand the support issues this would raise, but it is frustrating knowing that info we want (like VR) is there, but we cannot read it.

I've long been a fan of empowering the user with advanced tools or features as I did in this thread that proposed a custom exif decoding feature that would enable you to see whether VR was set:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=4239.0

Frankly, I think such feature would unleash a great deal of user activity.  Maybe we would need another Camerbits forum: Custom Exif Routines  ;D

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 08:19:46 AM »
Deven,

I will give credit to PM for exposing a great deal of EXIF info, but there is a lot of vendor specific info that PM cannot access.  I understand the support issues this would raise, but it is frustrating knowing that info we want (like VR) is there, but we cannot read it.

I've long been a fan of empowering the user with advanced tools or features as I did in this thread that proposed a custom exif decoding feature that would enable you to see whether VR was set:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=4239.0

Frankly, I think such feature would unleash a great deal of user activity.  Maybe we would need another Camerbits forum: Custom Exif Routines  ;D

Those values you're identifying as 'offsets' are tag numbers.  PM would have to keep in memory all of the various tag's values as it parses the EXIF data so that later custom EXIF definitions could do lookups and translations.  It would use a bit more memory (perhaps a lot if the tag's values were a large amount of data) to keep the data in memory.  We'd also have to come up with a domain specific language and a scripting engine to allow such a feature to be useful.

-Kirk