Author Topic: PM5rc issues  (Read 3391 times)

Offline ajmast

• View Profile
PM5rc issues
« on: July 26, 2012, 07:59:28 PM »
Win 7 64b
PM5RC b13057

I think some of these I have reported before, but still persist in this build:

When I enable AP custom features it downloads a new DB, validates and says it installs, but then I cannot close the preferences dialog. Clicking on it nothing happens. I have to force kill and restart PM5.

If a Color Class has color with a label that blank then pressing Zero will assign the unlabeled color, making it impossible to have no color class be set. Likewise ingesting will assign the unlabeled color to all images ingested. If two colors are unlabeled it applies the numerically lower one when user tries to assign no color. (attached screen shot of pref with no label(s)).

IPTC Info window no keystroke will change color (neither CTRL+#, or with single key shortcut enabled # alone.) I can use mouse to change color label.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM5rc issues
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 08:30:09 PM »
AJ,

When I enable AP custom features it downloads a new DB, validates and says it installs, but then I cannot close the preferences dialog. Clicking on it nothing happens. I have to force kill and restart PM5.

The AP's database has become far too large to work with the method of management we worked out with them a few years ago.  We need to make a new implementation that uses a SQL database rather than loading all of their data into memory.  We may just have to disable the feature until this can be worked out.

Quote from: ajmast
If a Color Class has color with a label that blank then pressing Zero will assign the unlabeled color, making it impossible to have no color class be set. Likewise ingesting will assign the unlabeled color to all images ingested. If two colors are unlabeled it applies the numerically lower one when user tries to assign no color. (attached screen shot of pref with no label(s)).

Why not just add some descriptive labels?  An empty label would indeed just act like no label at all.

IPTC Info window no keystroke will change color (neither CTRL+#, or with single key shortcut enabled # alone.) I can use mouse to change color label.

In the IPTC Info window use the same keyboard shortcuts as listed on the Image menu for setting Ratings or Color Classes.  It should work fine.

-Kirk

Offline ajmast

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 04:11:00 AM »
The AP's database has become far too large to work with the method of management we worked out with them a few years ago.  We need to make a new implementation that uses a SQL database rather than loading all of their data into memory.  We may just have to disable the feature until this can be worked out.

The way I as a photographer use the AP feature is only the custom XMP fields and not the taxonomy (as of today). So if you can leave the custom xmp enabled when disabling the other that would be preferred.

If a Color Class has color with a label that blank then pressing Zero will assign the unlabeled color, making it impossible to have no color class be set. Likewise ingesting will assign the unlabeled color to all images ingested.

Quote from: Kirk Baker
Why not just add some descriptive labels?  An empty label would indeed just act like no label at all.

I am happy to do that, but I don't think you should be able to save the preference with the fields blank if it creates aberrant behavior. It took me from the first pm5 beta to last night to figure out why images were ingesting with a color assigned when I had not set it to do that.

In the IPTC Info window use the same keyboard shortcuts as listed on the Image menu for setting Ratings or Color Classes.  It should work fine.

Looking at this more, it is related to the no descriptive label in color color class. If there is blank descriptive label, the keyboard shortcuts do not work in the IPTC info (though still function in contact sheet view). So my suggestion above would solve both issues.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:30:50 AM by ajmast »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 06:42:29 AM »
AJ,

The way I as a photographer use the AP feature is only the custom XMP fields and not the taxonomy (as of today). So if you can leave the custom xmp enabled when disabling the other that would be preferred.

I'll discuss this with the AP and see what they have to say in the matter.

If a Color Class has color with a label that blank then pressing Zero will assign the unlabeled color, making it impossible to have no color class be set. Likewise ingesting will assign the unlabeled color to all images ingested.

I am happy to do that, but I don't think you should be able to save the preference with the fields blank if it creates aberrant behavior. It took me from the first pm5 beta to last night to figure out why images were ingesting with a color assigned when I had not set it to do that.

Looking at this more, it is related to the no descriptive label in color color class. If there is blank descriptive label, the keyboard shortcuts do not work in the IPTC info (though still function in contact sheet view). So my suggestion above would solve both issues.

OK.  I'll force the preferences to reassign the default labels anytime it sees that they're blank.

-Kirk