Author Topic: PM 5 Won't Open Folder of images  (Read 6738 times)

Offline aglenn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM 5 Won't Open Folder of images
« on: December 03, 2012, 06:53:30 AM »
I created a folder of images last week on a virtual drive and PM opened it just fine. Other people have added images to the folder and now it won't open in PM. It is unlocked and it is opening in Adobe Bridge. I even copied the folder to my hard drive and it still won't open. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM 5 Won't Open Folder of images
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 08:13:13 AM »
I created a folder of images last week on a virtual drive and PM opened it just fine. Other people have added images to the folder and now it won't open in PM. It is unlocked and it is opening in Adobe Bridge. I even copied the folder to my hard drive and it still won't open. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Please see this post and answer as many questions as you can: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=4688.0

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline aglenn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 08:30:25 AM »
Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 13444

Mac OS X, Version 10.7.5

I have no screen shot to show, because PM literally does nothing, it's as if I didn't open anything. I can open other folders just fine. I've duplicated this folder on different drives and still nothing. Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 08:37:07 AM »
Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 13444

Mac OS X, Version 10.7.5

I have no screen shot to show, because PM literally does nothing, it's as if I didn't open anything. I can open other folders just fine. I've duplicated this folder on different drives and still nothing. Thanks.

OK, so what does it mean to be a 'virtual drive' on your system?

-Kirk

Offline aglenn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 09:06:05 AM »
The folder is on a remote server. I can access and look at other folders on the same server via PM. I can view the images inside the folder in question via Finder and via Adobe Bridge, but PM is not opening it. I copied the folder in question to my hard drive and still cannot look at it via PM, but can via other programs.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 10:07:56 AM »
The folder is on a remote server. I can access and look at other folders on the same server via PM. I can view the images inside the folder in question via Finder and via Adobe Bridge, but PM is not opening it. I copied the folder in question to my hard drive and still cannot look at it via PM, but can via other programs.

Are there actual files in the folder, or are the items aliases?  PM only supports actual files, not aliases (or soft links) to files.

-Kirk

Offline aglenn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 10:48:04 AM »
They are real, honest-to-god, jpeg files that are opening in Bridge, Photoshop, Lightroom...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 11:24:54 AM »
They are real, honest-to-god, jpeg files that are opening in Bridge, Photoshop, Lightroom...

Can you post a directory listing?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline aglenn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 11:32:54 AM »
I think the attached screenshot is what you are asking for? Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 11:36:49 AM »
I think the attached screenshot is what you are asking for? Thanks.

Yes, looks pretty normal.  Do you have any other Contact Sheet tabs open when you try to open this folder?  How are you opening the folder?  Navigator/Favorites, Drag and drop from Finder, Open dialog?

-Kirk

Offline aglenn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 11:41:33 AM »
Tried the File > Open Contact Sheet way first, with no other tabs open, then drag and drop, still didn't work. I have other tabs open now and tried it again, it opens a blank "untitled" tab and no images will load.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 11:46:08 AM »
Tried the File > Open Contact Sheet way first, with no other tabs open, then drag and drop, still didn't work. I have other tabs open now and tried it again, it opens a blank "untitled" tab and no images will load.

Very strange.  I'd need to send you a logging version of PM 5 to get much further on this issue.  Interested?

-Kirk

Offline aglenn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 02:03:06 PM »
If the problem persists with other folders, I'll get in touch. At this point my team has moved on to another work-around, but I thank you for your time and assistance today!