Author Topic: A serious problem: PM 5 freezes :(  (Read 4917 times)

Offline wiesiek

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
A serious problem: PM 5 freezes :(
« on: April 07, 2013, 01:42:40 PM »
Hi!

For the first time I have a serious problem with PM (I am a long time PM user)... I suspect there might be some correlation between recent Windows 7 x64 updates (including Intel HD 4000 driver) and the behavior but I am not able to nail down the cause. Here is the problem: I work with a large collection of pictures (like 3 folders, 2000 pics each). Sometimes when I rotate/drag/resize a selection with a mouse PM freezes leaving lots of (pairs of) lines similar to:

NRFWinBitmap.cpp:1011 NRF failed to load 'somefile.jpg' with error 7
NRFBasicJPEG.cpp:240 DecompressJPEG error loading jpeg from data.

in the log file. Sometimes the contact sheet thumbnails start flashing (like they were being regenerated over and over again) and the CPU usage goes to 100% on all cores. The "flashing symptom" does not happen always though. In any case the PM interface stops responding and the only way out is to kill the application...

I first observed this behavior with "Photo Mechanic version 5.0.0.0 build 13895 (de040ad)". I have tried to downgrade but the problem wouldn't go away :(

I am using Windows 7 x64 on a machine with 16GB of RAM (and good quality hardware). As I have mentioned in the last couple of days the system received several updates from Microsoft and one from Intel (new version of the HD 4000 driver).

I would very much appreciate any kind of suggestion/help because at the moment PM is almost unusable for me :(

Wiesiek
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 02:25:46 PM by wiesiek »

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: A serious problem: PM 5 freezes :(
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 02:27:27 PM »
Can you send me your PM.log?  Use the 'Reveal Support Data...' menu item on the Help menu.  You can either post it here or send it to me via email (contact me privately for the email address.)

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline wiesiek

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 03:41:29 PM »
Dear Kirk,

thank you very much for your prompt reaction! :) I have sent you the complete log file by email.

All the best
Wiesiek

Offline wiesiek

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 02:03:20 PM »
Hi Kirk!

Just a short update, which might be of interest to a wider audience as well. As I suspected the problems seem to have been caused by some broken Win7 updates from Microsoft. After receiving another bunch of Windows updates on 10th of April PM started working fine again - at least I have not experienced any freezes since then.

All the best,
Wiesiek

Offline jonathanpow

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 09:16:22 AM »
Good afternoon,

I'm getting the same problem. I've tried updating, reinstalling, but it still freezes.

Any advice would be great.

Best,

JP

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 02:14:12 PM »
Jonathan,

I'm getting the same problem. I've tried updating, reinstalling, but it still freezes.

Freezes doing what kinds of operations?  Unless your problem is exactly the same as Wiesiek's problem, I'll need more information from you.  Please see the posting guidelines http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=4688.0

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline jonathanpow

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 06:29:57 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Hi I'm running Photo Mechanic v5.0 b 13915 in Win 7 64-bit on a Intel Core 2 Duo with 8GB Ram. Photo Mechanic crashes randomly during all operations, basically randomly and frequently. It stays up barely a few minutes before crashing, sometimes when captioning, sometimes when culling images and sometimes when in the background.

I've attached a screen shot.

Any help would be great as it's causing a bit of bother and I can't use it on this machine.

Kindest regards,

JP

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 07:00:35 AM »
Jonathan,

Hi I'm running Photo Mechanic v5.0 b 13915 in Win 7 64-bit on a Intel Core 2 Duo with 8GB Ram. Photo Mechanic crashes randomly during all operations, basically randomly and frequently. It stays up barely a few minutes before crashing, sometimes when captioning, sometimes when culling images and sometimes when in the background.

I've attached a screen shot.

Any help would be great as it's causing a bit of bother and I can't use it on this machine.

Please contact support@camerabits.com via email or by telephone at 503-547-2888 during business hours.  They'll be able to help you better than I can via these forums.

-Kirk

Offline jonathanpow

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 02:19:08 AM »
Ok Kirk.