Author Topic: [SOLVED] make a compilation from contact sheet & create a new one with selection  (Read 5769 times)

Offline CameraNera

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hello,

I recently took many photographs of an event.

For the same event, I have different costumers. A photograph that is good for one would not automatically interest the other one.
So I could say, I take the color blue for costumer A, and yellow for costumer B.

But then it gets tricky if costumer A and B should get the same picture – please don't tell me to put a green label on it ;-) or stars, I would rather stay with the color system... I could also have a 3rd or 4th costumer and then the problem remains the same. –

Of course I could do this in as many steps as I have costumer (first put a color, export a contact sheet as JPG for my costumer A to see his selection, then take away the color to have it all again, put another color, export a contact sheet for costumer B etc...) but actually it bothers me to loose the control of the color I chosed for the other costumers in the original RAW file.

Ideally, I would like to sort of copy a selection from a contact sheet and duplicate this selection into a new contact sheet (that would then be a kind of "alias"?), to edit it in different formats (JPG High Res, low res or whatever else I could need).

I tried to use the menu Edit | Load selection but i guess it is meant for another use, or I did not understand how to use it properly.

Can someone help we? How would you solve this? Maybe there is a simple, logical way I am just not thinking of right now...

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

CameraNera
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 11:33:02 PM by CameraNera »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Ideally, I would like to sort of copy a selection from a contact sheet and duplicate this selection into a new contact sheet (that would then be a kind of "alias"?), to edit it in different formats (JPG High Res, low res or whatever else I could need).

I tried to use the menu Edit | Load selection but i guess it is meant for another use, or I did not understand how to use it properly.

Did you use Edit->Save selection first?  It produces the file that you would then load with Edit->Load selection.

-Kirk

Offline CameraNera

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi Kirk,

actually yes, but when I saw that "Save selection" opens a new finder window (I work on Mac, OS X 10.8.5) , I cancelled the operation, because I first thought that it meant I had to manually click the name of each file wanted to have selected. If you have a bunch of photos, this would not be very useful.

After reading your post, I decided to try again, with a small selection of 4 pictures, to test it properly.
I thought then that I maybe first misunderstood the purpose of this new finder window and that maybe I should indicate a storage place for a text file, that Photo Mecanic would generate and then load again when I use the menu "Load selection", to be able to show the selection in a new, separate contact sheet.

So I saved it under a testname, in a new file within the file where all original pictures are.

But when I load it, I get following error message: "There were 4 items in the selects file(s), 0 matched, and 4 were not found".

The file created with "Save selection" has no extension, I tried to add .txt, but this doesn't help...

I am sure I do something wrong, how should I do this?

Thanks in advance for your explanations!
CameraNera

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Hi CameraNera, when you loaded the file, did you have the contact sheet open with the files to select?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
Hi
Not fine for me.
I choice 3 pictures from a sheet and obtain a file "selects.txt".
I make a new sheet empty, impossible "edit/load"
On the original sheet, loading is possible and I see my tree pictures selected among the others.

No utility, what is my mistake ?

mac mavericks and last PM
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Not fine for me.
On the original sheet, loading is possible and I see my tree pictures selected among the others.

You do have to reopen the same contact sheet you were working with and then you load your selection file.  Then it should work fine.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 07:09:20 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
Hi
Not fine for me.

mac mavericks and last PM

Hi,
No mistake.
I think that by saving and loading your selection on the original sheet you are able to copy, move, save as, upload, edit, etc., from that.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline CameraNera

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hello everyone,

sorry for my delayed answer.

Ok, that was the problem... My contact sheet was closed when I wanted to load the selection, therefore it could not work.

Thanks a lot for the explanations, it helps me a lot! :D and I now understand the logic behind it.

But a last detail still confuses me: when I do Edit | Save Selection, the file I get has not extension. It looks empty (see attachments). I have to manually add .txt in the filename and then the selected photograh appear as a list (and I can load the selction and get it in the contact sheet).

I can live with that, but I just wonder if I have maybe a wrong preferences setting or such, to make it happen that way...

Camera Nera

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
When you choose the name, go ahead and add .txt yourself.  It's completely unnecessary for the filename to have an extension in order for PM to work with the file later.

-Kirk

Offline CameraNera

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi Kirk, that's right, thanks again!

CameraNera